Old Dog Peeing in House

My dog is now 12 years old. In dog years she's 84. On the the outside she still seems fit, jumping off the couch or onto it, climbing the steps. Even though she's just a little slow with it, she can still do it. We let her outside to potty, and usually when she had to go, she would scratch by the door and wait for someone to open it.

For the past year she hasn't been scratching by the door, she's been using the potty everywhere in our house. It stayed mainly in our dining room, but now it's wherever she's at. It's even to the point where I catch her in the act and she doesn't care. She finishes and she's on her way. I know she is old and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but its very frustrating. Any tips?

Ann

Answers:

Old Dog Peeing in House

I had a similar problem, my dog was unable to get out the doggie door when she was old. I timed her from drinking to needing to pee. After drinking and the necessary time passed I took her outside until she did her business. I kept a minimal amount of water in her bowl unless someone was around to take her outside. Your dog may have problems that you are not aware of, incontinence, etc. It is not their fault and they need help in their golden years. (09/29/2005)

By Dennis

Old Dog Peeing in House

We had an older female and used child's diaper on her when in the house; it worked wonders. I just had to remember to catch her before she went out. May also talk to vet about medication for incontinence in females.
Love her, try to understand, but it is frustrating to deal with a mess. (09/29/2005)

By Sandy

Old Dog Peeing in House

It may be as simple as getting her a hormone shot if she has been spayed. That was the problem with my older dog. I think you should talk to her vet for advice. Good luck. (09/29/2005)

By Kathy

Old Dog Peeing in House

When my elderly female dog began peeing in the house the vet put her on Premarin. It took awhile, but it sure helped her get her control back. (09/29/2005)

By Seagrape

Old Dog Peeing in House

She needs to be seen by your Vet of choice. Sounds like she has an UTI or other physical problem. (09/30/2005)

By SNIGDIBBLY

Old Dog Peeing in House

My old girl (Collie Shepherd x) is 16 and the vet put her on Metacam liquid in her food once a day and you would not believe the difference from the stiff, slow, sleeping dog. Still almost deaf and has cataracts, but now plays with the cat and other dog, as to incontinence she goes out several times a night and woofs to wake me. Once in awhile it is a poop in the kitchen, but about 8 times in 16 years in not bad
We will keep her until it is time to go. (09/30/2005)

By Susan from Hamilton

Old Dog Peeing in House

Unfortunately, incontinence happens in old age. Think about elderly folks. The bladder weakens with age, is no longer strong and elastic and the urine just leaks out. There are products on the market for this problem for people who suffer from incontinence such as Depends. Sadly, our dogs suffer some of the same medical issues as humans and incontinence is one of them.

I am guessing that a dog with this problem cannot stop the "flow" and just stands there until he or she is finished. I guess we will just have to buy doggie diapers for our beloved friends and deal with it as best we can until they are no longer with us. It's the least we can do for all the unconditional love they have given us throughout their lifetime. (08/11/2006)

By Anonymous

Old Dog Peeing in House

If your dog has changed his peeing habits and needs to learn where not to pee, I suggest you try PeeAway, it's a pet odor neutralizer and pet urine deterrent. They say that once it is applied, it is suppose to keep your pets from peeing in that area. They say it acts like an invisible shield, just a suggestion. (09/03/2007)

By Susan

Old Dog Peeing in House

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to respond in hopes that this information helps someone who views it.

A few weeks ago, my Chocolate Lab started peeing in the house. He was getting old and was struggling a little to get up so I just assumed that it was age and something that we would have to deal with. I did a brief look online to see if there were any comments and found the typical threads (like this) and a few that said it should be something to check with a vet about.

Unfortunately I was convinced that this was just his "age" since nothing seemed unusual, and there were no signs of "pain" or major discomfort. The peeing stayed the same, but his condition changed rapidly. On Monday I took him in to the vet and found out that diabetes was the cause and the advanced stage and condition forced us to make the decision to put him to sleep.

I'm not sure if an immediate visit to the vet would have changed anything, but our family lost a great friend. I just wish that I would have seen a post like this to convince me that it was worth a quick trip to the vet.
(01/10/2008)

By Mark

Old Dog Peeing in House

I volunteer with Bichon rescue and always foster and adopt older and/or special needs dogs. There could be lots of reasons for their peeing in the house, including epilepsy, sudden urge to pee and no time to make it outside, a bladder infection, Cushing's, or diabetes. Or it could just be incontinence to due to age, just like humans. I'd take her/him to the vet immediately for a checkup and tests. It's expensive, I know, but there are medications and special diets for all of the above. Don't give up, please. And please don't use Premarin, as this is manufactured by tortuous means to pregnant mares (Pregnant mare urine = Premarin). There are other plant-based hormones that will work better and don't require animal cruelty in their manufacturing. (01/10/2008)

By never2late2learn

Senior dog laying on wood floor in home, looking sad
Old Dog Peeing in House
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄
🍂