Older Dog Pooping in the House

I was wondering why that my older dog is starting to potty in the house. She is 14 years old, but this just started like 3 weeks ago. How can I stop this? She is housebroken and has been for years. Can you give suggestions to help? Thank you so much.

By Patricia

Showing: Answers Sort

By Lizzyanny 9 1,256 Flag

If I were you I would start with a trip to the Vet. It could be any number of physical things. Once that is taken care of you can begin to look for behavioral reasons.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cisco's Mom 15 149 Flag

I am having the same problem with my 12 year old and a few years ago I went through it with a 15 year old. It seems that like humans (look at all those ads for Depends), older dogs don't feel the bowel movement coming on until it is too late. I have solved the problem by taking her out more often or leaving her in the yard for a half hour or so. My husband does the 6AM outing and I do the 11 PM. So far it has helped. We do still have an occasional accident. She is so embarassed when it happens (usually when she is asleep). She wakes up and can't get away from it fast enough. Her ears go down flat and she looks away. I feel so bad for her.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cookie17 6 49 Flag

I would think anytime a dog that age has a problem could be anything Please take Dr. ease your & your dog's mind. Cookie17

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Gloria Z 10 258 Flag

I agree with Lizzyanny you should take the dog to a vet to be checked. I can't imagine how embarrassed that poor dog is when this happens. Please don't scold or punish your dog when this happens. She might have cancer or something else but you won't know until you take her to the vets.

I once adopted a dog and the third night she was with me she wet the carpeting. I was so mad at her I hollered at her. But then it happened - She started to cry - tears were streaming down her face. I never knew a dog could cry and I've had a lot of them. I felt so bad that I had hurt her feelings that I broke down and cried too and promised never again to scream at her. She was one of the best dogs I ever had God rest her soul.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 8, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Dog In His Own Bed
Dog Pooping In His Own Bed
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 8:01:50 AM on 10.0.1.119 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings