Opening a Bag With Stitched String Closure

cement bags
It can be a challenge to open a stitched bag without cutting the bag. This is a guide about opening a bag with stitched string closure.

Can anyone tell me how to open a bag by pulling the two strings so they unravel? This bag had two sections and I did one, after fiddling with it for several minutes, and I don't know how I did it. Usually I give up and have to cut each stitch to get the bag open and it is a big mess.

By Litter Gitter from NC

My picture did not go through the first time. Trying again.

It's been hit or miss, for me. Sometimes I get the string to pull all the way off with the first try, and sometimes it takes some fiddling around. When the end has a series of knots in it, like the one in your photo, I think you might have to cut the knot off first, then try pulling one string or the other.

It's great when it works, and a pain in the butt when it doesn't. I've ended up just cutting the bag open with scissors, on occasion. The bag is actually sewn shut just like a line of regular sewing machine sewing, with a top thread and a bobbin thread, so it should pull apart the same way you would rip open some machine sewing. Usually, I think it's the bobbin thread that releases more easily, but I don't know which is which on the bag.

I don't see those bags too often any more. My cat food bags are rolled down and glued shut, which are easy enough to unroll and open (sometimes I get a bent fingernail, that's all). The cat litter I buy either has to be cut open (national brand), or it has a strip that rips off, leaving a plastic zip closer below to close it with (store brand). I like these kinds of bags much better.