Opossum Information and Photos

Category Wildlife
Often called possums, these animals have a flexible diet that make them successful colonizers in diverse environments. This page contains opossum information and photos.

Opossums eat rats. Encourage your area to set up an area for opossums.

Source: http://www.opossum.org/

Do possums hibernate?

David from Stockton, CA

No opossums do not hibernate, they may den up in cold weather, but will come out to eat.

according to a The Possum Pages website...

>>>Do opossums hibernate during winter?

Opossums do not hibernate. Their greatest challenge during winter, especially in colder climates, is simply to survive. Very often opossums will alter their foraging habits during winter, coming out during the day when it is warmer rather than at night. It is not uncommon for opossums in northern regions to suffer frostbite during extremely cold periods. Their tails are particularly susceptible to frostbite as they have no fur covering to protect them. Sometimes opossums can be found relocating to basements or garages in order to escape the cold. The only way to prevent this is to make sure all openings are fully covered.

SOURCE:

http://opossum.craton.net/faqs.htm

I had a family of opossums in my backyard shed one winter, so I would say they definately try to find a place to get out of the cold weather.

vguy

Not here in N Y. They come and eat from my bird feeders, if they can get to them. They go up the pole, and hang on any way they can, to get to my bird food day or night!

OK Next question. I live in WI & have one sleeping in my chicken coop. Will it eat my chickens?

I was wondering about possum's hibernating. I live in Cedar Grove, WI and my husband and I manage a small motel about a mile from town. We put out dry cat food to feed some of the stray cats and the food is put between our kitchen door and the door to the office. We have a possum that comes up to the doors to eat the cat food. We just found out where it has been living. We have an old coke machine that does not work and the possum is living inside the machine.

I need to get rid of my possum in my back yard.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Skeeter was 3 1/2 years old. Possum, oh possum. I found her when she was about 2.5 inches long, in her Mama's pouch. She had been hit by a car, but 6 babies survived. I took care of them all for 3 and 1/2 weeks, then gave 5 of them to a wild animal organization, keeping Skeeter.

She loved being carried around. Hugging, eating, sleeping, and going to the drive through at Mcdonald's for her own hamburger and fries. Unfortunately, she developed cancer, very badly, and I lost her humanely. I will miss her for the rest of my life. I was her Mama.

By Deby from KS

Opossum sitting near window.

Comment Like this photo? 20

Your story brought back the childhood memory of when I heard baby opossums crying near the road that passed by our house. As I looked closer I started finding the babies and their mother had been hit by a car like Skeeter's mom was. We took them to our cat who was nursing her babies and she took them on until eventually the humane society placed them with a wilderness project. It is wonderful that you were able to keep Skeeter and I bet you have great memories of her.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Our cat has her own house, in fact it is a condo and at times she has visitors. I don't think this one was probably invited but she isn't particular and shares with all. She seems to make friends with the most unlikely of characters. Our cats house sits right outside our picture window and she loves to TV with us. Perhaps she invited the opossom over for a night of entertainment and snacks?

By Ann W. from Loup City, NE

Possum

Comment Like this photo? 7

Cute photo, we had an opposum visit our cat food dish too on our front porch along with all of her babies hanging off of her, simply adorable!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

We are in the small town of Chillicothe, Illinois, and discovered that we had baby possums behind our store. We put out a trap. This is a picture of the seventh one we caught. We took them out of the city, and let them loose in the woods.

P.S. They love peanut butter!

By Tikko M.

Photo of a baby possum

Comment Like this photo? 6

God bless you for your humane treatment of these little critters!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Cute baby possum.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

A little visitor, he must have fallen off of his mommy's back, I just took the baby boy by the tail, put him in a little box and brought him to the wildlife rehab center.