Organizations to Help Low Income Students Get Free Laptops

I am a new college student at Bay college in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am in desperate need of a free working lap top. My financial aide is not enough to provide me with one and I spoke with financial aide to find out if they can help and was told no.

I am a single mother trying to obtain my LPN I have no income. Are there any charities or organizations that can help with this?

By dragonwings

Answers:

I would check to see if you can buy a used laptop. They are much cheaper and you won't need bells and whistles to use it for school. We just bought one from a friend for $100. There might be students at your school who are upgrading who will sell one to you. Or check around to see what computer stores or even thrift shops sell used equipment. You would be surprised to see what good stuff people donate. (12/21/2010)

By pamphyila

P.S. Pawn shops might be another source for a cheap used laptop! (12/21/2010)

By pamphyila

Dragonwings, try your local free-cycle, there may be someone who will or did get a new computer for Christmas. I would also see if there is any kind of foundation that assists single mothers with items for college, or just for nursing students. (12/22/2010)

By JMRoss

Check out freecycle.org and ask for stuff. They have rules for using their site. You can only ask for one item per week. Your first post must be a give away, but you can give anything. I have offered boxes of Kraft dinner, a non working computer tower, some shoes and t-shirts, etc. and everything has been snapped up quickly. Especially the food items! It's a great way to help others in the same situation you are in. Good luck with your education and good for you for trying to save money. (12/22/2010)

By catastrofy

Dragonwings, you could also check craigslist for a cheap or possibly free one. I for one, am glad to see that you are going to school to better yourself and take care of your child! Good for you! Good luck in your pursuits. :) (12/22/2010)

By dellajo

Maybe you could babysit for someone while they shop or whatever to earn enough money for a laptop. I got mine last year for $219 after Christmas. It is a 10 inch small one, but I use it everyday and I love it. You could advertise at the school, not full time babysitting, but for whenever. Congrats on Nursing school! I went 15 years ago and I had 4 kids, all in school and a husband. I was 38 and finished 2nd in my class! Good Luck. (12/23/2010)

By HAPPYINHARNED

Check with your university's library to see if they have a lending program for computers. You might be pleasantly surprised. Ask if they have any recommendations. (12/27/2010)

By cookwie

older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
Laptop Computer
Finding Free Laptops for Students
🎉
🎄