Organize Cords

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep cords organized so you can use them, then roll them up and store them for quick reuse?

Ward from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Organize Cords

Use empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords. It keeps them neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to. Hope this helps
(02/11/2005)

By mncrystalina

Organize Cords

I use empty toilet paper tubes. They're small enough to put in a shoe box for storage. What I do is label the roll (i.e. extension 2ft, phone cord, etc.) then I stuff it in then store in the shoebox.
(02/11/2005)

By pilar1

Organize Cords

I put computer cords that I connected to a stip plug into a basket on the floor under the computer desk. It is neater than the cords just lying loose. (02/13/2005)

By Joan Cooper

Organize Cords

A good ole elastic band works too. However I do use the toilet paper/paper towel rolls too, that way I can write on it, what it is and which appliance it is used for.
(02/13/2005)

Organize Cords

I coil up my cords and hang them on nails inside my linen closet. (02/14/2005)

Organize Cords

Twisty ties! (you get a bunch when you buy trash bags) If the cord is too long (ie. from computer to wall outlet) then bunch it up accordian style then wrap a twisty tie around it. You wont have excess amount of cords cluttered around your PCU! This works for phone cords, TV's, fans, etc! (02/15/2005)

By KristaLove

Organize Cords

I wrap them like a figure 8 and put a rubber band around them, then I put them in separate bags, like what you get from Wal-mart, grocery where ever. I then put them in an old duffle bag.
kn (03/11/2005)

By KAY N

Organize Cords

Contact "Cable Clamp" on the Internet. They have the best answer to cable storage. (03/15/2005)

By Doyle

Organize Cords

Hair clamps. They're available at dollar stores in various styles and sizes. I've been buying them to keep cords organized. Or you may already have some from your kids stuff that they don't use anymore. It's so easy to use and cheap too. (11/25/2006)

By Odette

Organize Cords

Use Cable Ties! For cables that are rarely used, get ones in a nice color. For frequently used ones, get the releasable kind! They are re-usable and always stay in good shape. They come in various lengths and have been very useful for me. (07/07/2007)

By Anonymous

Organize Cords

The way that cords come is a clue, I suppose.

Christmas lights come on a cardboard card with notches. One circled around, one notch.

Some thin plastic cords just won't be kept untangled by looping them and tying them off with shoelaces. The band equipment idea seems the same except for the 90-degree angle of the arm. 90-degrees. Remind me if that is the elbow is out straight?

I'm tempted to get something entirely different that resembles the Christmas cord idea. I don't suppose these big stores like Home Depot have such ideas? If not, I'm tempted to make some sort of small, non-sharp fork-end shape.

The way thin cords come in their packages is about as easy to duplicate as re-folding a very large map quickly while sitting at the steering wheel on a very hot day. Sometimes it's easy (if the chord is only 10 feet long... nearly impossible if longer than that.

The "twistem-shoelace-pony-tailholder" ideas only work for me with thick or short wires. The "figure 8" has not worked terribly well for me with long hoses or any other long cords. (09/12/2007)

By sherriff

Organize Cords

Why can't all long, thin cords come in a device like a retractable measuring tape? Like the newer dog leashes in holders? Perhaps wound round and down a long plastic or light metal tube like tin-foil unwraps from a tube, but in tight circles... oy. There is likely a business that does nothing but make rewrapping devices.

Some 12-y-old inventor probably has the answer.
(09/12/2007)

By sherriff

Organize Cords

http://www.ehow.com/how_18801_wrap-cord.html

It says, "make it behave!" Train your cord! (09/12/2007)

By sherriff

Organize Cords

I've tried keeping cords organized for years. I usually unplug everything and untangle. But i found a solution that reduces this problem. I found it at www.organizedcablecord.com Easy to use, inexpensive. I am using them to solve just about every cord problem in my house and office. Also www.cablecordorganizer.com Same site. You wrap the cord around the gadget and can have any length cord you want (except longer than the cord itself, of course!) You can even store the cords wrapped around this gadget. There's a thingy for both big and small cords. (10/04/2007)

By Steve

Storing appliance cords in toilet paper tubes to keep from tangling.
Organizing Electrical Cords
pile of electronics cords and cables
Recycling Electronic Cords and Cables
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
TV with hidden cords.
Hiding Electric Cords
🎄