Organizing Clothes Closet

I need help organizing my closet. Should I sort my blouses/tops by color, or by style and fabric? Thanks.

By Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Answers:

Organizing Clothes Closet

Both color and style, including by short or long sleeve. If it were me, I'd ask myself, "Do I first look for something in a color I like or by the style, or by short or long sleeve?"

Most people find it's easier to find something by color. Then if you have multiples in the same color (like I have at least 20 tops in black) also sort by sleeve length or whatever.

But I like to sort by item: starting from left to right, I hang coats and sweaters, then dresses long to short, then skirts, then pants, and then tops. But if I have an outfit that goes together (like a jogging suit top and bottom, etc.) I'll hang them on the same hanger with the top hung over the pants.

What it comes down to is what's the easiest way for your to quickly find your item then easily put it away. It's like everything else, everyone has an opinion, but it's all about what's easiest for you! (10/12/2009)

By Cyinda

Organizing Clothes Closet

If like me you like the seasonal items grouped. Luckily I have 5 bedrooms and live alone so I can pretty much hang anything anywhere I want.
I use one closet for just coats and jackets at one end
and because I seldom wear a dress anymore (but still have them) I put them in the opposite end of the coat/jacket closet.

In my master bedroom closet I found that after I hung all my tops and organized them, there was a lot of unused space below it so slid in a 2 rod rack that the back rack is higher (for pants) and the lower is for tops.

I'm not sleeping in my master bedroom yet due to no furniture (it's my PC space for now) so my night clothes get one end of the closet and the other end is for clothing I wear a lot for house duties in what will someday be a guest room.

I bought several canvas over-the-door storage containers that are great.They open for use into rectangular boxes open at the top. In those I keep scarves, gloves, and other items I want sometimes spur of the moment.

The best single inexpensive item for the closet is simple deco chain. We have it here in brass color, black, and white. Get some cut about 1/2 the height of your closet and in the back or front to the side of a door (if you don't have a double wide sliding closet door) hammer a nail (or screwdriver/screw) into the wall as near up as you need it and can reach to hang the chain from.
It's amazing how much weight you can suspend from that piece of chain!
Also, chain cut into 3-4 link sections to slip over hangers to hang extra pieces of clothing you want to wear as a set.
It beats the cost of commercial gadgets made for the same ideal!

(10/14/2009)

By melody_yesterday

Organizing Clothes Closet
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
mirrored closets
Affixing Fabric to Mirrored Closet Doors
Organized Closet
Organizing Your Bedroom Closet
organizing a hall closet
Organizing Your Hall Closet
🎉
🎄