Organizing Clutter

Sometimes tackling the mess can just seem overwhelming. This guide is about organizing clutter.

December 17, 2010 Flag

When reorganizing my home, I used to forget where seldom-used items got redirected to. After some frustrations, I learned to keep a recipe card file of alphabetized note cards, one for each item I moved. Now, when I can't seem to remember where I put the bead weaving loom or the tabletop easel, I just go to the card file and am reminded.

By ChurchGrandma from MT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

September 14, 2009 Flag

Do you feel overwhelmed that your home is a big mess? Just looking at it, you do not know where to begin? Try this: Take a big green trash bag and go in each room, Put everything that is laying around into this bag; clothes, toys, shoes, just what ever is on the floor and such. You will have a clean home in 10 minutes. Then while you are sitting down watching a movie, go through this bag and put everything in place. It gives such peace of mind

By halaluyah77 from MO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 12 Comments

August 19, 2009 Flag

If you have some clean cans and some strong bulldog clips, you can have a catch all to keep handy. Just put the clip everywhere the tins meet, and fill evenly with things like I did. I put in office, tool, and craft supplies.

But, since this was just for show, you could use like things. Camping utensils, napkins, and plastic silverware. Stationary supplies like pens, markers, and such. Art brushes, scissors and paint tubes. Craft hooks and needles, a small skein of yarn or pattern books. Beauty supplies like emery boards, tubes of creams or items for skin and bug protection. Screwdrivers, pliers, and small tools.

The nice thing about this is you can throw it together for a special project or event, then put things away when you finish or get home. Keep the cans together or separate for later. If you find the right box or tub, you can do this without the clips, by just setting them inside. I can tell you that a 6.5 in. by 6.5 in. inch box is perfect for four cans, so you can plan accordingly.

Got a big picnic? Set this, as big as you need it, on one end of the table for all your utensils. Fixing the house up? Set this up in the center of the project area and keep all Phillips in one, flat heads in another, and so on.

Art project in the future? How handy would this be for all the same colored markers, florescent and crayons, art brushes, foam brushes and more to stay organized? You can leave them uncovered for the "unfancy" event, or decorate or paint them for picnics, parties, or BBQ, etc.

If you have smaller things to put in them, but don't want to have to dig, just put the smaller things in a yogurt cup and it will set in the top just about perfect. N-JOY!

By Poor But Proud from Salem OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

October 5, 2011 Flag

I recently got 3/$1.00 baskets that are absolutely invaluable to me. They are useful for so many things, especially when you have limited counter and desk space. I put this one up above my little desk with push pins and now keep my stamps, Dr. appt. cards, and rent receipts in it.

You can do the same thing with kitchen recipe cards, things you use often like matches and batteries, etc. Now that you have the idea, you can put them up in your bathroom, shop, laundry room, and more.

Hope this helps.

Source: Always thinking.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

November 28, 2012 Flag

I had an old roll-up front wooden breadbox that I was loathe to part with, but didn't need for bread keeping so I re-purposed it as a kitchen organizer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2004 Flag

I have a 3 lb coffee can that I add all screws, pieces of blinds, wing nuts, lamp parts and "what have you" that are left over. For over 30 years now if I have needed something to hang a picture, anchor or screw I just look in the "MAGIC CAN" and there it is.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 28, 2009 Flag

Crisscross several thin, braided elastic headbands around the front cover of a three-ring binder, and your child can tuck pens, pencils, and reminder notes under them. You can also use the same concept on the sun visors in your car.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 8, 2012 Flag

Use a clutter jail to help kids pick up their stuff. If you pick something of theirs off the floor they then have to pick a card from a jar, and complete the task before they get their item returned. Here is some card ideas:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 21, 2005 Flag

If you have baskets or crocks displayed on high shelves, you can hide small decorative objects inside them, and no one will ever know.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 6, 2004 Flag

When company is coming, take your clutter items and box them up for sorting at a later time. This saves me time when I am rushed for cleaning, as I can sort through the box while watching TV or a good rainy day project.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 21, 2008 Flag

Controlling clutter with kids is not an easy task! To try to control the clutter in the living room, kitchen, and dining room, we have to do a walk-through everyday (or at least every other day).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 28, 2005 Flag

Keep a basket in each room for clutter. Have the family help clean out the baskets once a week. When unexpected company arrives, simply put the baskets in the closet.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 26, 2011 Flag

Clutter can become overwhelming. My solution is to create a master list of things that are needed to live. Clothes that are needed for our/your way of life, groceries, furniture, and just basic needs which are placed in categories.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 29, 2008 Flag

I have a small trailer so I have 2 plastic stands that I brought at Wal-Mart. One I use for putting items for cooking, baking, and extra stuff I don't use right away. I have a small one for my computer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 17, 2011 Flag

I recently redecorated the bedroom by turning it into the "combo room". Very soon you will see the massive job it was, but for now, this is what I came up with.

Finished basket storage, with balls of green and purple yarn artfully arranged on top.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 11, 2009 Flag

Personalized organizer from a recycled ruler, magnets, clothes pins, and foam shapes. We used hot glue to place the clothespins and magnets onto the ruler.

Clothes Pin Paper Organizer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 14, 2008 Flag

Like most of us I am besieged by the clutter demon! However I find this does help a little. Every night before I go to bed I tidy up the living room/kitchen area.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 22, 2008 Flag

There are several things that I try to do to keep clutter down. When you walk in our door, you are in the kitchen. There's the table which is the first place that catches everything that people walk in the door with whether its mail, school bags, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 19, 2008 Flag

Tiered hanging wire baskets, the kind for storing fruits and vegetables, can be used in a child's room to organize toys or stuffed animals; in a closet for storing socks, belts and underwear; or in a bathroom for storing makeup, hair accessories, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 9, 2009 Flag

I keep a CD rack by my computer to hold papers for my printer, files and invoices to be paid. It is easy to get the papers I need in a flash.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2005 Flag

Telephone books and department store catalogs are recyclable but many times we hang onto them because of information we have written in them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2010 Flag

I worked for an apt complex for 9 years. Our residents were mostly college students. When they graduated and moved a lot of them left everything behind.

I started gathering up the stuff that was left. I have 18 vacuum cleaners and over 300 T-shirts, as an example of what I have. I've said, "I have found everything except a house and a gun". I gathered too much stuff and now my friends think I am a hoarder. But, I've got so much stuff, I don't know where to begin to get rid of it.

I've been told to take it all to the flea market and sell there. I have a 10 room house, 5 of the rooms are almost completely dedicated to stuff I want to get rid of. Are there garage sale experts who can give me advice?

By Lotzamoxie from Waco, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you don't want to donate or give it away, you can always try Craig's List. Then you don't have to bother hauling the stuff to the flea market, just post the info & sell it. Follow precaution though, don't let them come to your house, arrange to meet them in a public place like the parking lot of your corner convenience store or grocery store or something & don't go alone. Cash only, don't take checks or anything else that can be faked. Here's a link to the Waco website & to their safety suggestions.

http://waco.craigslist.org/

http://www.crai  org/about/safety

Best Answer

Wait until spring and have a garage sale, or yard sale. Run an add in you're town news paper, and sell the best if you need a little cash. Then donate the rest. Don't take checks, ask for cash in your ad. You should make some good cash. You have kept the items this long. So you can surely keep them until spring, Lot of people buy old clothing to make crafts out of.

Hope this helps.

January 19, 2015 Flag

I save everything, paper and stuff. What is the best way to organize paper?

By Marion

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have started to scan everything and keep the digital copies organized in separate folders' Everything from paid bills to recipes. I get what bills I can delivered through email. Prescription recetpts?. my pharmacy will give me a single, detailed receipt for taxes every year.

Organizing Clutter ControlJune 26, 2012
Garage Full of Boxes and Clutter
Getting Rid of Clutter
Organizing Your Home's Entryway
Organizing Your Home's Entryway
Organizing Your Shower
Organizing Your Shower
Organizing Your Bedroom
Organizing Your Bedroom
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:25:00 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 11 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.