Organizing Craft Ideas

Category Crafts
Organizing Craft Ideas
If you are like most crafters, there is a pile of craft ideas growing somewhere in your home or craft room. This is a guide about organizing craft ideas.

Here is a great tip that I came up with out of "desperation": I love to peruse craft websites and print out free directions for ones I want to do later. Well, one day I went to print out a couple and found I was out of printer paper.

I am forever coming across ideas for different crafts I want to make. Many I will email to myself, but invariably I will delete it after a while for one reason or another. Or if I print it out, I'll lose it among all the other paperwork on my desk. So I came up with a way to keep them and organize them at the same time.

I print the article out, including directions, pictures, and anything else that will be useful when I go to make it. I slip the whole thing into a page protector and file it in a 2 inch binder. I have dividers in the binder to keep them all organized.

I started out organizing them by type of project as far as crochet, knit, plastic canvas, wood work, and other things. But I've changed it to sort it by what it is: "For the Living Room", "For the Bedroom", "For the Bath", "For the Pets", "For the Kitchen", "For Outside", etc. Now if I want to start a new project, all I have to do is flip through the album and decide what to make next! I call this my "To Make" album.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I've got these hanging file folders with tabs that I am using to organize all my crafts/art projects, but I've quickly run into a dilemma. I can't figure out how to label thousands of ideas without using thousands of individual file folders!

I was thinking of labeling them by material, but I've yet to find a craft that needs only "one" material. I also considered organizing them by theme, but I'm not sure how to do that either.

Some examples of my ideas include: religious crafts, holiday crafts, painting techniques on different objects ideas, all things jewelry and jewelry related, events such as baby showers, etc., decoupage, Mason jar ideas, plaster ideas, etc.

As far as I can tell I don't see a rhyme or reason as to a good way to organize my instructional looseleaf papers into a labeled hanging file folder drawer.

Any ideas? (help!)

By Mourning_Star from IL

Best Answer

Write or better typewrite a list of all your craft ideas giving each one a short but explicit title then give a number to each of your hanging file and assigned to each craft idea on your list the number of the hanging file where it will be filed. Write that same number on each looseleaf paper. This way you don't have to find any logical order you just refer to your list every time you want to find one of your craft ideas. If you can type your list using an Open Office text document, you can even look for for a precise craft idea using a search by keyword in your list. Hope this helps!