Organizing Day for Kids in Online School

I am looking for tips on organizing my kids' school days. My boys are in online elementary and secondary school. I don't teach them per se, but I keep them on task and help them with questions they have. If anyone can share their experiences and ideas I would be grateful! There's not a lot of info out there as online elementary education is relatively new. I'm especially interested in tips for keeping my youngest focussed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have never heard of online elementary and middle school education. Is this homeschooling, but with a curriculum more in line with the school district? Or, does your state require homeschooling be taught in this manner? Is the computer directly linked into the "live class session"? If I may ask without sounding rude, but why do you prefer to have your children's education take place in front of a computer rather than the traditional classroom, or homeschooling, as we know the definition, with you as the primary hands-on teacher? If it is due to medical reasons, either with you or your child/children, I understand completely. I am a newly retired elementary teacher, very familiar with homeschooling, and thought I was up on the latest teaching modalities and methods, but online instruction for courses below college level is an eye opener for me. I am interested in hearing more. Thank you.

Hello Luann, Thank you for your question.

I am not homeschooling, my kids do have teachers. My job is to help them schedule their assignments and make sure they do their work.

This year my 6th grader will have a teacher for each subject, and my 4th grader will have one teacher. Work is assigned each week - daily work, subject work, and some projects lasting longer. We have a video conference with the teacher once a week to go over those assignments and also some class meetings so the kids can do discussion activies together or share their projects. Many of the programs used were already familiar to my children from regular school, such as Lexia, Khan Academy and Google docs and spreadsheets.

I chose online school due to medical issues and lack of accommodation from our local public school. Both my children have GI issues and flexibility of online school had allowed them to flourish, rather than miss so much.

The school they attend had been providing online middle and high school online classes for 15 years, last year (2014-2015) was their pilot year for elementary.

I'm happy to answer any other questions people may have, as I have not seen much discussion elsewhere regarding this format.

-cj