Organizing Household Paperwork

I am looking for tips for paperwork organization at home.

Carol from Strongsville, Ohio

Organizing Household Paperwork

I am not an organized person, but am learning to become one. The free web site that I love is and she is teaching me daily how to do little "babysteps" to eventually be organized. Check it out! (09/09/2006)

By lindajeang

Organizing Household Paperwork

I use binders for organizing my papers. For school papers, I use a 3 hole punch so the papers stay in. Then when I don't need the paper, I can just rip it out. For other papers, I use sheet protectors which I found at a great deal. I have a big binder for 'mail', where I put things that I want to go through again later. I have one for recipes, etc. I can't organize in files, I need to see what everything is and go through quickly so using sheet protectors are a godsend to me. (09/09/2006)

By Kim

Organizing Household Paperwork

Hello fellow northeast ohioan! I am in Lorain. My system is fairly simple. I have one file drawer (it came in my desk) and several hanging files. They are marked as follows :

• insurance
  • medical
  • bank
  • credit reports
  • automobile
  • utilities
  • paid off
  • misc receipts
  • paycheck stubs
  • verizon wireless
  • local restaurant menus and coupons
  • school papers (one file for each child)
  • social security (hubby on disability)

That's it! When I pay a bill I mark it with the amount paid, the check number, the date and then I paperclip it to the last one. All gas bills together, all electric bills together etc. Then every once in awhile I shred the old ones but I always keep at least 4 months of utilities and some other things longer. I have a small fire safe in my closet that I keep the deed to my house in, our social security cards, birth certificates, etc in for safety. I keep track of my monthly budget and expenses in a regular school notebook. This system has served me well for almost 20 years. Good Luck!

By Cindy S.

Organizing Household Paperwork

My system is very similar to Cindy S', except I also have a hanging folder for taxes, and I mark all bill due dates, work hours, and any extra money I earn outside my regular job on my wall calendar so I don't forget them. At the end of the year, I use the calendar to do my taxes and then keep it with my tax papers for that year. It's been very helpful to me to have all that info in one place. (09/10/2006)

By Jantoo

Organizing Household Paperwork

There is a cool book called "Getting Things Done" which addresses this in detail. We have applied it, and we have no more "piles"! it's easy to do and even a little bit fun.

By Nicole

Organizing Household Paperwork
Organizing Household Paperwork
Health Insurance Claims Paperwork
Organizing Health Insurance Paperwork
Cabinet with Multi-colored Hanging Files
Organizing Paperwork For Taxes
Money hidden in a china sugar pot.
Hiding Valuables
Medical Insurance Documents
How Long Should You Save Medical Insurance Documents?