Organizing Linens

Category Linens
Organizing Linens
Organizing your linens for easy access and use of space can be a challenge. This is a guide about organizing linens.

I store an air mattress, pillows, sheets, and an extra blanket in a large tote in the bottom of my closet. It's always ready for unexpected guest. I still have room on the top of the tote to store other things.

By Sandy from Halifax, NS

To keep my sheets and pillow cases organized together as sets, I fold pillow cases of the same set, separate, then put all into last folded pillow case. Put set of folded pillow cases into the flat folded sheet with the folded fitted sheet. When you need the set of sheets, all are together as one, and the pillow cases can be taken out by the amount needed for the pillows.

Sometimes I use 4 pillows, sometimes 2, all are together. Makes for saving time, and no searching, or lost pillow case. Saves time, and keeps linens all organized for the kids to make their own beds also. Saves time for the fast cup of coffee. Happy Day.

By Diane from Allentown, PA

When there's a pile of sheets or towels in the cupboard, it's easy to overuse the few top ones. The way to avoid this is to put freshly laundered stock underneath the rest of the pile each time - just lift the pile out onto a convenient surface, put in the new stuff, and replace the rest of the pile.

I have a very large cherrywood armoire in my bedroom. It used to have a large TV in it but now the piece of furniture is empty. I use the large opening on top, filling it with sheets and matching pillow cases, all matching sets together. On one side, I store a stack of blankets and quilts. I keep fabric softener sheets between the sets of sheets to keep them smelling always fresh.

The top closes by two beautiful carved doors. I use the drawers below for extra pillow cases and unmatched single sheets, and smaller throws.

After organizing the linen closet, I found myself still having to refold and pick up linens after the kids had rooted around looking for the correct linens to fit their beds. In our house we have 3 different size beds, single, full, and queen. Since I buy linens when they are on sale, many of the sheet sets are the same color and style but in multiple sizes. I tried putting the sets together inside one of the pillow case but still had the problem of unfolded sheets as they searched for the ones for their beds.

My solution has been to get one of those zip canvas bags designed to store under the bed. Under each bed, I put one set of sheets, the correct size and number of pillow cases, and one blanket or comforter to fit that bed. They are protected and dust free, and there is no need to rummage through the linen closet looking for the right sheets to fit their bed.

By slee15 from AL

To store freshly ironed tablecloths, attach a long, sturdy towel bar to the inside of a closet door. place tissue between folds of tablecloth and hang carefully over the rod.

By Marian

Before you store away Christmas tablecloths, throw pillows, etc., toss in a new dryer sheet. The scent will keep the seasonal goodies from getting musty between now and next holiday season!

Does someone have any idea on how to organize a linen closet when you don't have a lot of storage and no linen closet? I am looking for some frugal ideas. This is an older home with barely any storage.

By Andrea from Canada

We keep each bedrooms linens in a drawer in the respective bedroom. There is two sets of sheets for each bed. Extra blankets go in a tote in the closets. If you roll your towels you can get more in the space than folding them. I fold them in half lengthways and then roll them. A lot of people that I know only have one set of bedding per bed. You can also store things in totes under the beds. My 1970s era apartment doesn't have a lot storage. I do have a linen closet where we store extra towels and washcloths, keep a few extra bottles of shampoo, etc. An extra package of toilet tissue, extra boxed of facial tissues, vacuume cleaner, a tote with rags for cleaning, The very top shelf which is real hard to reach is where I keep Christmas gifts that I buy all year.

The bedding for each bed can be folded flat and stored between the mattress and boxsprings. If you spread out the folded items, they won't be lumpy. Rolled towels take less room than folded. Try getting a wine bottle rack which stands on the floor and putting rolled bath and hand towels in the slots. Wash cloths could go in a basket.The under bed storage boxes could be used for toilet tissue, kleenex etc. A muliple pants and or skirt hanger could be used to hang table cloths and placemats in a closet or on the back of a door.

Hello Andrea! We own a very old, modest, home - built circa 1890 - which started out with only two, 2' x 2' interior closets with "pegs" (no shelves or rods) only, for non-kitchen storage. The bedrooms, however were larger than today's standard 10' x 12' so after a few years we were able to add a two and a half foot deep, ten foot long closet to each bedroom.

The initial, single bathroom wasn't added on until the 1920's or 1930's and had even less storage - a small medicine cabinet with a small mirror above the pipe-exposed single sink. A small vanity cabinet and some wall mounted shelves helped that room's storage needs tremendously. None-the-less, I've had to learn a lot of storage tricks over the years! :-)

You can keep a second set of sheets (you really don't need more than two sets per bed; and only one if you are super efficient at remaking beds as soon as the sheets dry), and an extra blanket or two plus an extra pillow or two in an under the bed plastic storage container for each bedroom.

Install at least a 2' to 3' shelf in the bathroom(s) for at least two sets of clean towels (as others have stated, rolled usually takes up less space), a towel bar for daily use bath towels and wash cloths and a towel ring for a hand towel next to the sink. Keep extras in another plastic storage bin on another shelf in the laundry or utility room and rotate accordingly.

Keep a medium sized wicker basket (large enough to hold about four rolls of toilet paper) either on the floor or wall mounted next to the bathroom toilet(s) and store the rest of your bulk buy toilet paper package on a high shelf in the laundry room or pantry or other space you can find that is reasonably close to the bathroom(s).

Store extra sundries; extra shampoo, soap, first aid items, etc; in bins on the bottom shelves of a pantry or kitchen cabinet. (Be sure to child proof and pet proof these cabinets to prevent accidents.) It won't be quick access, but these items are kept for back-up storage, not daily use needs, anyway.

Utilize the inside surface of bathroom doors for hanging shoe storage pockets to hold odds and ends like extra wash cloths, hand towels, hair spray, shaving creams, blow dryers, make-up, face or body moisturizers, talcum powder, etc. If you are really creative and handy you can also make a fabric cover for this "hanging hold all" so that guests won't have to look at your collection of bathroom essentials! ;-)

Hope I've mentioned at least a hint or two that might help. Good luck!

I don't have a linen closet either. I have a very small 1 bedroom home. I do however have a beautiful etegier in my bathroom so I store my bedding and towels on that. Along with some decorative items (vases) it looks real nice. I store extra tp in the drawer to the bathroom vanity/sink. I agree that rolling towels looks nicer and takes less room than folded towels and that's what I do. As suggested above in another post, a nice large basket sitting on the floor is another great way to roll and store towels.

Love all these tips!