Browsing: Organizing Recycling Items

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Organizing Recycling Items

Recycling is an important step that we can all take to help reduce the amount of waste making it to the landfill. However, if it isn't sorted and organized properly it can quickly become a pile of garbage. This is a guide to organizing recycling items.

Items for Recycling in Blue Bin
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 13, 2015 Flag

In an effort to recycle even more at our house, I put a small recycling bin in our bathroom. Now we can easily recycle the tp tubes, paper tp wrappers, and any little cardboard packages that end up in the bathroom. It seems that if its easy people are more willing to recycle it. :)

Bathroom Recycle Bin

August 27, 2015 Flag

This might be one of those times when this only bugs me. But if not you are one of those who hates when box flaps get in the way. A long soda box with the flaps tied back.

I labeled 1000's of pickled veggies for a friend who had a business. When I tried to put the jar in the sectioned off boxes, the flaps would always catch on my wrists or hands.

The same happens for the soda boxes I fill to take them in for a refund. So today I thought of a way to keep them open. I didn't have a rubber band big enough so I used a head band. Elastic works, large scrunchies, even yarn or string. Just keep them open and down while you put the cans in.

This is not a tip that will change the world but if it keeps some stress out of your life, then everything helps.

N-JOY!!

October 9, 2011 Flag

How do you know what/which plastic and cans are accepted at recycling stations? Every time I go (and think I have it right) I end up bringing back at least 1/4, sometimes more of what I take. It is like the workers decide week to week what they will and won't take in.

What numbers on the bottom makes a plastic okay for recycle? Also how do you know if a can is metal or aluminum? It makes it seem like it is not worth the effort to save this stuff for a month or more and have to bring part of it back home.

By Shirley

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

At my recycle station they have posted a list of acceptable item for recycling. Usually on the bottom of a plastic container is a number within a triangle. For example on a jug of Tide washing machine soap is a number 2 enclosed in a triangle.

Aluminum is a metal. Soft drink cans are aluminum and vegetable, soup, and fish cans are zinc coated tin or steel.

The recycle guys should have a list of acceptable items for recycling.

I believe there is a mark under the container. I think it is like an A in a circle or triangle. My grandchildren had to point it out to me.

To tell tin from aluminum, just use a magnet. If a magnet sticks, it's not aluminum! Stuck-chuck!

If you have to separate the aluminum from the tin and steel, just use a magnet. If it's not attracted to the magnet, it's aluminum. Most towns and cities only accept the #1 and #2 plastics for recycling, unfortunately.

Find out what your town accepts and only bring those items. The rest will have to go in the regular garbage. The town I live in only accepts #1 & #2, but the next town over accepts all plastics, go figure! I contacted my town & asked them to look into accepting the others, but so far it hasn't happened.

Read More Answers...

May 5, 2005 Flag

Organizing items, like newspapers, bottles and cans, that you plan to recycle. Post your ideas.

Best Answer

Keep your recycling container right beside your garbage can in the kitchen. I was leaving mine by the porch and it was just too easy to throw things into the garbage. I use a small bathroom size garbage can that I empty daily into the recycling bin.

By Liz from Ontario

Best Answer

I don't have a company that comes to pick up my recycled items, I have to drop them off, so outside I have plastic storage totes. I have different colors for the glass, cans, etc. When they get full, I just load them in my car and haul them away. It is a lot easier to lug the totes around than it is to lug big, full trash cans around.

I use a cleaning bucket that I placed under the sink. After I rinse my items, I toss them into that and sort them out when I go outside. I don't have a large amount daily so I just wait until it gets full. It is still small enough to sort out quickly, but large enough to keep them off the counters.

That is a good idea. My recycling bins are in my kitchen. I recycle/reuse hust about everything, and where the toted have lids. Don't have to worry about weather. My recycling comes every other week. Thanks for the tip, now I'll have more room in my kitchen.

I keep a pasteboard box (cereal, soda pack, etc) handy in the kitchen; when I empty a smaller box, I flatten it and put it in there. When it's packed full, I take it to the recycling dump and just toss it in. Another cereal box holds the weekly ads (we don't subscribe to a newspaper, so we only need to recycle the free-distribution ads).

I have a pegboard for hanging kitchen tools, and I hang grocery bags from lower hooks to collect and separate aluminum and steel. Milk jugs go into a large kitchen trash bag on the floor beneath them.

September 11, 2009 Flag

It was always such a bother to sort garbage to recycle, that I did not do it. Now I live in a rural area and pay to have my garbage picked up, so decided that I would recycle.

March 2, 2010 Flag

Make more room in your recycling bin! Step on your 2 litre plastic bottles to remove most of the air and then put the cap back on the bottle.

April 6, 2010 Flag

I like to keep my empty aluminum cans hanging on a string of yarn. I tie the first can onto the yarn. The other cans I string on this through the pull tab.

May 5, 2005 Flag

Keep your recycling container right beside your garbage can in the kitchen. I was leaving mine by the porch and it was just too easy to throw things into the garbage.

August 31, 2009 Flag

I keep a pasteboard box (used for cereal, soda pack, etc.) handy in the kitchen; when I empty a smaller box, I flatten it and put it in there. When it's packed full, I take it to the recycling dump and just toss it in.

March 15, 2006 Flag

I don't have a company that comes to pick up my recycled items, I have to drop them off, so outside I have plastic storage totes. I have different colors for the glass, cans, etc.

Organizing Garbage and RecyclingAugust 5, 2011
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Recycling Small Appliances
Recycling Small Appliances
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:31:20 AM on 10.0.2.241 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.