Organizing Recycling Items

Recycling is an important step that we can all take to help reduce the amount of waste making it to the landfill. However, if it isn't sorted and organized properly it can quickly become a pile of garbage. This is a guide to organizing recycling items.

In an effort to recycle even more at our house, I put a small recycling bin in our bathroom. Now we can easily recycle the tp tubes, paper tp wrappers, and any little cardboard packages that end up in the bathroom. It seems that if its easy people are more willing to recycle it. :)

Great idea, this is actually something I've been thinking of doing myself for a few weeks. My TP comes in rolls that are separately wrapped in paper, so when I unwrap a new one, I stuff the paper into the tube of the empty roll and take it to the recycle in my kitchen - unfortunately, the rest of my family is too lazy to do it themselves & with a family of 5, our bathroom trash is always overflowing with tp rolls & empty plastic bottles. With so many small, nice containers at the dollar store, this is something that is easily done.

This might be one of those times when this only bugs me. But if not you are one of those who hates when box flaps get in the way.

I labeled 1000's of pickled veggies for a friend who had a business. When I tried to put the jar in the sectioned off boxes, the flaps would always catch on my wrists or hands.

The same happens for the soda boxes I fill to take them in for a refund. So today I thought of a way to keep them open. I didn't have a rubber band big enough so I used a head band. Elastic works, large scrunchies, even yarn or string. Just keep them open and down while you put the cans in.

This is not a tip that will change the world but if it keeps some stress out of your life, then everything helps.

N-JOY!!

I smiled when I saw this, because this bugs me too! I have even taped down the flaps of a box if I knew I was going to keep it open for a while. It really is annoying when the flaps constantly catch on your sleeves, or fold back in the way when you are trying to place something in the box, and all it takes is a few seconds to get a rubber band or whatever to hold them down. Good tip!

It was always such a bother to sort garbage to recycle, that I did not do it. Now I live in a rural area and pay to have my garbage picked up, so decided that I would recycle. I have my usual garbage can in the kitchen, but I also have two bags hung by the back door. When a milk carton is emptied, it goes into the bag for plastics. When cans are emptied, they go straight into the bag for cans. That way I do not have to sort the garbage, as it is already sorted.

There are two recycle trucks in the parking lot at the grocery store, one for plastic and the other for aluminum, so I purchased a large plastic garbage can and a large metal garbage can. (I already had a large can for garbage.) The milk cartons, etc, obviously go in the plastic container and the cans go in the metal container. To make it even easier, I put a garbage can liner in each garbage can before I begin filling it, so that when it is full, I just take liner and all out. The big bags are ready to be dropped off.

Source: My mother would have called this "common sense." Her favorite saying was "Use your head to save your feet." I simply used my head.

By Clynnaltemus from Inglis

Anonymous

Good for you and don't forget to recycle paper and cardboard boxes of any sort too ;-)

Make more room in your recycling bin! Step on your 2 litre plastic bottles to remove most of the air and then put the cap back on the bottle.

I like to keep my empty aluminum cans hanging on a string of yarn. I tie the first can onto the yarn. The other cans I string on this through the pull tab.

Keep your recycling container right beside your garbage can in the kitchen. I was leaving mine by the porch and it was just too easy to throw things into the garbage.

I keep a pasteboard box (used for cereal, soda pack, etc.) handy in the kitchen; when I empty a smaller box, I flatten it and put it in there. When it's packed full, I take it to the recycling dump and just toss it in.

I don't have a company that comes to pick up my recycled items, I have to drop them off, so outside I have plastic storage totes. I have different colors for the glass, cans, etc.

How do you know what/which plastic and cans are accepted at recycling stations? Every time I go (and think I have it right) I end up bringing back at least 1/4, sometimes more of what I take. It is like the workers decide week to week what they will and won't take in.

What numbers on the bottom makes a plastic okay for recycle? Also how do you know if a can is metal or aluminum? It makes it seem like it is not worth the effort to save this stuff for a month or more and have to bring part of it back home.

By Shirley

Best Answer

At my recycle station they have posted a list of acceptable item for recycling. Usually on the bottom of a plastic container is a number within a triangle. For example on a jug of Tide washing machine soap is a number 2 enclosed in a triangle.

Aluminum is a metal. Soft drink cans are aluminum and vegetable, soup, and fish cans are zinc coated tin or steel.

The recycle guys should have a list of acceptable items for recycling.

Don't give up so easy. Just do your homework first before you go out to recycle. You'd be surprised, there's always some place taking whatever you have. Check your local online resources. At my county's website there's a lotta info and links to local recycle stations and what they will or will not take. The department here is called waste management & recycling. They have scores of info re: where to go with everything from plastic bags to old tv's. Here's an link to some of the info you're asking about, but do check further in your local area. http://www.msa2  esin%20Codes.pdf

Thanks for helping the environment!

I believe there is a mark under the container. I think it is like an A in a circle or triangle. My grandchildren had to point it out to me.

To tell tin from aluminum, just use a magnet. If a magnet sticks, it's not aluminum! Stuck-chuck!

Organizing items, like newspapers, bottles and cans, that you plan to recycle. Post your ideas.

Best Answer

Keep your recycling container right beside your garbage can in the kitchen. I was leaving mine by the porch and it was just too easy to throw things into the garbage. I use a small bathroom size garbage can that I empty daily into the recycling bin.

By Liz from Ontario

Best Answer

I don't have a company that comes to pick up my recycled items, I have to drop them off, so outside I have plastic storage totes. I have different colors for the glass, cans, etc. When they get full, I just load them in my car and haul them away. It is a lot easier to lug the totes around than it is to lug big, full trash cans around.

I use a cleaning bucket that I placed under the sink. After I rinse my items, I toss them into that and sort them out when I go outside. I don't have a large amount daily so I just wait until it gets full. It is still small enough to sort out quickly, but large enough to keep them off the counters.

That is a good idea. My recycling bins are in my kitchen. I recycle/reuse hust about everything, and where the toted have lids. Don't have to worry about weather. My recycling comes every other week. Thanks for the tip, now I'll have more room in my kitchen.

I keep a pasteboard box (cereal, soda pack, etc) handy in the kitchen; when I empty a smaller box, I flatten it and put it in there. When it's packed full, I take it to the recycling dump and just toss it in. Another cereal box holds the weekly ads (we don't subscribe to a newspaper, so we only need to recycle the free-distribution ads).

I have a pegboard for hanging kitchen tools, and I hang grocery bags from lower hooks to collect and separate aluminum and steel. Milk jugs go into a large kitchen trash bag on the floor beneath them.