Organizing Sewing Notions

Category Crafts
Organizing Sewing Notions
Sewing notions can easily become a jumbled mess, making it hard to find the items you need for a project. This is a guide about organizing sewing notions.

Cardboard in a Clear Plastic Bag

Keep ribbons, lace, ric rac, seam binding, etc. on a piece of cardboard and place in a snack bag to keep neat. I prefer to use the generic snack bags since they do not have a colored zip strip. I keep mine filed neatly in the bottom of my sewing box.

By C. A. McWilliams

Seam Binding

I sew a lot and have found out by wrapping seam binding on small cardboard and then putting them in a shoe box by color you never have a problem finding what you need.

By Sharon

Clear Plastic Boxes

I store notions in clear plastic boxes. This is a little more costly, but you can see what you have immediately before pulling out the boxes.

By PatsAZ

Fishing Tackle Box

You may giggle on this one, but I went shopping at Walmart and found a pretty teal fishing tackle box that was on sale for $5 and I use that to organize even the smallest sewing needs. I also have spaces for my crochet hooks and the bottom for knitting needles and odds n' ends. It wasn't as pretty as the tapestry covered sewing box that I wanted, but it's much more useful and handy than that one!

By Kate

This is a guide about organizing sewing supplies. Keeping all of your sewing supplies well organized makes working on each project easier.

Spools of thread, buttons, scissors, and a tape measure.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a bunch of "new" unopened bias tape, zippers, ribbon, etc. that belonged to my grandmother. I'm wondering if they are still OK to use, or would the fabric be too old for normal wear and tear? They are all from 1980 or before; I'd bet some might even be from the 1960s for all I know. Most of the zippers have a price of 35 cents on them! I would like to use them, but don't want to waste the time if they will fall apart after use and a few washings. Thanks.

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

I would run a test on the notions-open one each of the vintage notions and subject them to a vigorous tug-pull-crumble test to see how the notions hold up. Then, sew up something small (for example a bag with bias taped seams and a zippered pocket) using the notions, and run the item through the washer and dryer to see how the vintage notions hold up. More than likely you'll find the vintage notions will hold up just fine as long as they were stored out of the sun and in a dry condition.

Some of the fabrics, though, may not stand up to your test, so be sure to keep track of labels and fabric content as you run your tests so that you don't keep testing the same labels and types over and again.

Btw, threads actually do have a 'shelf-life'-because of the way thread is made it is subject to 'break-down' over time, and it's better to replace thread spools that are a few years old to avoid breakage during sewing or using an item sewn with old threads.

Should you find the vintage notions are not going to stand up to use, you could make a lovely shadow box display for your sewing area.

There's no reason at all why they wouldn't be still good to use. I have some from back in the '60s (from my mother too) and still use them.

Thanks for the answers, you kind of verified what I thought. The zippers, I figured would probably still be good (maybe better than new since they are metal), but I will give them a good pull before using, maybe even wash them first. The ribbon looks ok too, so I'll try that on something small.

It was the thread I was worried about. It seems ok, but I don't want to use it to sew something, then have it fall all apart after a couple of washings - maybe I'll take the oldest, which are wood spools, & throw them in a glass jar to display. Thanks again!

Judy - Oklahoma