Organizing Your Car's Glove Compartment

Category Auto
Glove Compartment
Having things you need in your car close at hand, makes it easier to pay attention to your driving. This guide is about organizing your car's glove compartment.

I was in Girl Scouts and the Leader for two troops that my daughters were in. I was taught first and foremost to be prepared. I have for many years now been keeping a twenty dollar bill in my glove compartment for minor emergencies.

Each time one on the children bought a car, I told them to be sure and put twenty dollars in the glove compartment just in case something happened and they needed a ready flow of cash. So every once in a while, one of the children will call and say, "Mom, I am sure glad you taught me to put twenty dollars in the glove compartment. I really needed gas and the station I got to didn't take anything but cash." When they used the twenty, they'd always be sure to add it back into the glove compartment just in case another emergency arose.

It feels good to know that you have a little security in your car in cases of emergency.

By maphisx7 from VA

I keep a folder in my glove box. It's one of those that's made to hold checks, only it's a little bigger than the usual ones. Also, it's made from a nylon type of fabric, not cheap plastic, so it lasts a long time. I've had it for over 10 years and it still looks like new.

Anyway, in this folder I keep my registration, insurance card (copy of this is in my house too), title (when it's paid off), inspection paperwork, and the receipts and paperwork from any maintenance we've had done. This includes tires, tune-ups, anything. This way it's all together and nothing is lost.

It's also a good thing to have when we go to sell the car. The buyer will like knowing exactly what's been done and when.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

There are so many things that we need to keep handy in our car glove compartments, and it doesn't take long for it to become so packed with stuff that we can't find anything! I have been able to keep mine organized for years now very easily.

I bought one of those folders they make for organizing your checks. I found one that is made from cloth and it's lasted a lot longer than the plastic ones that tend to crack over time from temperature extremes inside the car.

Inside the folder, I labeled each section. There is a section for Insurance, Registration, Maintenance receipts, Tire receipts, the Owner's manual for the car, and many other things. In the back of the folder I keep two envelopes. One has a $100 money order in it. This is for any emergencies that may come up. I use a money order, because they don't expire and nobody but me can spend it; if it is stolen or lost I can get my money back. Once every other year I cash it and get a new money order.

The second envelope has enough cash in it for one tank of gas. Right now it takes $32 to fill up my tank, so I keep $35 in there. If the price of gas goes up I'll add to it. But if the price goes down, I'll leave it at the last amount that was in there, so there is a little extra.

The only other things that go in my glove compartment are a battery terminal cleaner, a digital tire gauge, and a couple of street maps of areas I will be needing them for. LOL - I will admit the rest of my car may be a mess sometimes, but the glove box is always neat and easy to find things in!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Since I am in and out of the car often and have a messy toddler, I have made it a habit to grab some paper towels out of the window wash station at the gas station and store them in my glove box while my gas is pumping. I have thanked myself later when I needed to use them!

By Stacey B from Topeka, KS

Keep a crossword puzzle (or another fun book) in the glove box of your car! My husband and I go for little drives in the car and sometimes he'll stop someplace to pay a bill or whatever. We don't always want to lug the baby carrier in and out so I stay in the car with the baby, and I'll pull out the puzzle book and keep myself occupied for the few minutes he is gone!

Source: I was sick of waiting for him in the car and just decided on this, it works!

By Wdyjsu from Eagle Mountain, UT

When my children were young and we would travel in the car I would always have paper, crayons, etc. in the car so they would not get bored. I would take the plastic grocery bags flatten them out and then roll then up so they would be about the size of a cigarette lighter. Tie them with a twist tie and keep them in the glove compartment. So when we were traveling and the kids had a huge mess we would stop at a road side rest gather up the mess and throw it away. The kids then had more room to make more fun, and of course more mess. Kept them quiet.

By Claudia

Here are some items that you can put in your glove box and save time and money.

I keep a calendar in my car. I jot down due dates for library books, videos, doctor appointments, etc. I check it before I pull out of the driveway each morning.