Organizing Your Sewing Room

My hobby is sewing and crafts. The problem is I have so much material in a small room. I need some ideas on organizing my sewing room. I am a very clean and organized person, but When it comes to my sewing room it's difficult. Please help.

Ruth from Hot Springs, Arkansas

See-through Boxes 02/16/2005
I store my unfinished projects in see-through shoe boxes (small projects) and storage containers. If it is real small (like a jewelry item). I store it in a zip-lock bag on my projects shelf. (You could also use a small bottle or jar).
By Anna(Guest Post)
Ideas 03/23/2005
For very small misc. pieces (fabric, paper, beads etc.) I use a large cork board and put the items in small baggies. That way I can see everything and its easy to stick a thumbtack through the plastic, poke it on the board and be done with it. You can also use old cardboard gift boxes as cups to hold small things just use two thumbtacks to secure the box to the cork board. I am 99% visual so I need to see everything or it's forgotten.
By Wanda (Guest Post)
Ziploc Bags 12/29/2005
Our grocery stores sell Best Choice generic products. Best Choice makes a 2 gallon Ziploc type storage bag that is perfect for keeping larger projects organized. It even fits 12X12 paper for all you scrapbookers out there. It helps me keep everything for a page together until I'm ready to complete the scrapbook page.

Hope this helps.

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)
Plastic Dressers 12/29/2005
I have two of those plastic see through dressers that you can get at Wal Mart. I use the 2 top drawers for bias tape, trim. and other notions. Then the bottom 2 drawers are just the right size to organize my patterns in. I have them stacked like they are in the stores except they are on their sides. I also have an armoire that I fold and stack all my fabric in. That way I can just open the door and see what I have.

The larger cuts of fabric i put on cardboard bolts that i got from Joann's. (They just throw them away when they are empty. The employees were happy to give me an arm load of them). I just stack them in the armoire or on top if they are too long to fit inside. I also have a sewing machine table that my machine sits on. Before i got the armoire I hung some of my fabric on hangers in an empty closet in my house. This was ok but i like the armoire better. Hope you get some good ideas from all the feedback. Good Luck!

By nursesarah79

Spools of thread, buttons, scissors, and a tape measure.
Organizing Sewing Supplies
jumble of bobbins
Organizing Bobbins
Sewing Room
Decorating a Sewing Room
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
Setting Up Your Sewing Area
Setting Up Your Sewing Area