Organizing Your Workshop

Category Workshop
A well organized workshop makes working on your home projects much easier. This is a guide about organizing your workshop.

When you have loads of small things to store in your shed or workshop, such as nails, screws, etc, here's a cool tip: Save jam jars and screw the lids to the underside of your workshop shelves. You can see what is in the jars and screw/unscrew the jar of your choice. Just make sure your shelf is secure and sturdy enough to take the extra weight.

By Chickybiker

This is an old tip that has always made sense. I can remember my father collecting baby food jars for this purpose.

But I like my idea better. I have a "thing" about taking glass products outside, even into the garage or shed. Which includes using glass jars for storing nuts and bolts. So what I have gotten my husband to do is start collecting small plastic containers with snap-on type lids. He does the same thing. Attaches the lids to the underside of a shelf and fills with his small items. They are still see-thru enough to see what's in there, and easy enough to take off and put on even one-handed. But you have the added safety of no broken glass if one gets dropped!

I save the large (25 and 50 pound) heavy craft paper bags that wild bird seed comes in. I cut along the top and bottom of the stitching and slit one side then fold and store them on my work bench. These make wonderful heavy disposable work surface covers to protect your workbench for your current project. I also use them when spray painting, stripping furniture etc as they catch all the overspray and drips. When your finished, you just fold them up and put them in the trash.

By MaryCrane from Orange Park, FL

Baby food jars are great for storing small nails, screws and other items so that they are easy to see. You can put the jars in a old spice race to keep them together. You can also attach the metal lids to the underside of a shelf, the jars can then hang from the shelf and be seen easily.

We took the jars and made Christmas trees with them and put lights inside. Make with colored or white lights. Gave them as gifts and people loved them.

If you enough wall space, hang shovels and other garden tools upside down on your walls. For smaller tools you can get a peg board that you can mount on your wall and fit with a variety of pegs and hooks and store tools that you need to have handy.

When looking for a small nail, screw, button. pin, etc, in your can or jar of misfits and/or left-overs, be sure to dump them on newspaper, typing paper, or magazine.

Nail or glue a yard stick to the front of your workbench for quick measurements. It comes in handy when you need to make a lot of small measurements.

A good use for old gutters, either wood or metal, is a debris gutter for the side of you work bench. Just attach it to the side of your work bench so that you can sweep debris and saw dust into it.

The best way to organize a workshop is to use a peg board. After you hang an item on the peg board, draw a line around it, that way you won't have to guess what goes where once everything has a place.

I attached a towel bar to the side of my husband's work bench in the garage. This saves him from wasting paper towels and it saves my "good" bathroom towels.

Keep a garbage can right by your workbench to keep debris from cluttering up your work area. If you have more than one work area put a trash can next to each.

A good place to store saw blades is in unwanted record album covers. If you don't have any record albums just visit garage sales on Sunday when people are closing down their sale. You likely find someone will to give away some records.

A cluttered, sawdust-filled shop encourages accidents. Keep the floor around machines clear of obstructions that could trip you at a vulnerable moment.

The transparent Glad-Ware Soup/Salad containers make excellent storage boxes for anything from buttons to screws or staples or nails.