Organizing Your Workshop

A well organized workshop makes working on your home projects much easier. This is a guide about organizing your workshop.

April 29, 2005 Flag

When you have loads of small things to store in your shed or workshop, such as nails, screws, etc, here's a cool tip: Save jam jars and screw the lids to the underside of your workshop shelves. You can see what is in the jars and screw/unscrew the jar of your choice. Just make sure your shelf is secure and sturdy enough to take the extra weight.

By Chickybiker

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is an old tip that has always made sense. I can remember my father collecting baby food jars for this purpose.

But I like my idea better. I have a "thing" about taking glass products outside, even into the garage or shed. Which includes using glass jars for storing nuts and bolts. So what I have gotten my husband to do is start collecting small plastic containers with snap-on type lids. He does the same thing. Attaches the lids to the underside of a shelf and fills with his small items. They are still see-thru enough to see what's in there, and easy enough to take off and put on even one-handed. But you have the added safety of no broken glass if one gets dropped!

April 29, 2005 Flag

Baby food jars are great for storing small nails, screws and other items so that they are easy to see. You can put the jars in a old spice race to keep them together. You can also attach the metal lids to the underside of a shelf, the jars can then hang from the shelf and be seen easily.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We took the jars and made Christmas trees with them and put lights inside. Make with colored or white lights. Gave them as gifts and people loved them.

June 18, 2005 Flag

Nail or glue a yard stick to the front of your workbench for quick measurements. It comes in handy when you need to make a lot of small measurements.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just did this last night! I mounted a 36" yardstick to the edge of mine with screws. I used a countersink bit in my cordless drill so the screws would be flush with the surface of the stick. It looks great!

April 29, 2005 Flag

A good use for old gutters, either wood or metal, is a debris gutter for the side of you work bench. Just attach it to the side of your work bench so that you can sweep debris and saw dust into it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 24, 2008 Flag

I save the large (25 and 50 pound) heavy craft paper bags that wild bird seed comes in. I cut along the top and bottom of the stitching and slit one side then fold and store them on my work bench.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

If you enough wall space, hang shovels and other garden tools upside down on your walls. For smaller tools you can get a peg board that you can mount on your wall and fit with a variety of pegs and hooks and store tools that you need to have handy.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

When looking for a small nail, screw, button. pin, etc, in your can or jar of misfits and/or left-overs, be sure to dump them on newspaper, typing paper, or magazine.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

The best way to organize a workshop is to use a peg board. After you hang an item on the peg board, draw a line around it, that way you won't have to guess what goes where once everything has a place.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

I attached a towel bar to the side of my husband's work bench in the garage. This saves him from wasting paper towels and it saves my "good" bathroom towels.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

Keep a garbage can right by your workbench to keep debris from cluttering up your work area. If you have more than one work area put a trash can next to each.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

A good place to store saw blades is in unwanted record album covers. If you don't have any record albums just visit garage sales on Sunday when people are closing down their sale. You likely find someone will to give away some records.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

A cluttered, sawdust-filled shop encourages accidents. Keep the floor around machines clear of obstructions that could trip you at a vulnerable moment.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag

The transparent Glad-Ware Soup/Salad containers make excellent storage boxes for anything from buttons to screws or staples or nails.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Organizing WorkshopMay 10, 2013
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
A baby nursery.
Organizing Your Baby's Nursery
In a wheelchair doing laundry.
Organizing Your Home When You Have a Disability
Garage Workshop
Using Your Garage as a Workshop
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 8:32:58 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.