Organizing a Small Kitchen

I recently moved into a 1 bedroom apartment. I have very limited space in my kitchen for storage, and no counter space. I have two bakers racks for my microwave, small appliances and other kitchen items. It feels so cluttered to me. I have two small cupboards and no drawers. Any ideas how I can organize?

By mem53 from Gloversville, NY

Answers:

Organizing a Small Kitchen

Perhaps instead of the bakers racks where everything is out in the open, maybe a large bookshelf with a front cover or wardrobe type thing where you can store it hidden away. I have a very small galley kitchen but am fortunate that I have a ton of cabinets. I store stuff in them, under them and on top of them.

Also if you can find room, Walmart and K-Mart type stores have plastic drawers that you can buy individually and different sizes, maybe you can stack some of those somewhere to keep the little stuff? (05/18/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

Organizing a Small Kitchen

Do you have any spare space in a closet or laundry area, or even under your bed? If you do then you might consider them for storing some of the items you don't use often. For example, I really like having a bread maker but use it only a few times a year, so it didn't need to take up valuable kitchen space.

I also have a small galley kitchen and recently cleaned out my laundry room and added wire shelving to hold overflow small appliances, paper products, etc. Another idea would be to add vertical storage - shelving, a hanging rack for utensils, a pot rack - if your landlord will allow you to do so. If you would like to store things under your bed you can buy an inexpensive set of risers that will lift the bed up about 6" and give you ample room to slide large plastic containers underneath that store whatever you like. (05/18/2009)

By lah34a

Organizing a Small Kitchen

Stick on hooks inside the cabinet doors can hold flat things like measuring spoons, pizza cutter, potholders. Pegboard is great if you are allowed to put screws into the walls - you can even put small shelves on it. I have plant hangers put in my ceilings and use inexpensive plastic chain from the hardware store to suspend wire racks; you can put large baskets on the racks and store things inside, and hang things from them also. Just be sure that you watch the weight and use the kind of hooks that have toggle bolts. Google "storage ideas for small places" for tons of ideas. (05/23/2009)

By cacshantih

Organizing a Small Kitchen

For utensils, measuring spoons/cups, etc. (gadgets) get an inexpensive tool box. Hang 3/tier wire baskets for fruits and veggies. If you're single, you only need the basics; 1 8" and 1 10" skillet, 1 qt. sauce pan and a 3 qt. sauce pan. A can opener, a spatula/turner, perhaps 1 whisk, 1 set of measuring spoons/cups for dry measure and a 4 cup liquid measure. Weed out what you don't use. (05/23/2009)

By chef4u

Organizing a Small Kitchen

I also have a small kitchen. I utilize my front closet and also a perfectly placed book shelf that I made a covering for. The book shelf holds plastic shoe boxes of my silverware. I also use the shelves for my canned and boxed foods. I use a shoe bag to hold my boxes of aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc. I use a flower pot on my stove to hold my cooking utensils. I also bought one of those Rubbermaid three drawer organizer units. I actually have two. I stacked them in the closet and use it for breads, flours, grains, teas. (05/23/2009)

By bina2j

Organizing a Small Kitchen

What about those sticky backed plastic hooks? Also, we have a tension rod between cabinets above the sink with s hooks holding light cooking utensils. Neither require drilling holes or any repairs. (10/05/2009)

By poepadoe

Organizing a Small Kitchen, A small kitchen painted lime green.
Organizing a Small Kitchen
Small Organized Bedroom
Organizing a Small Bedroom
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Dishes in Kitchen Cabinet
Organizing Kitchen Cabinets
Small Appliance Covers
Making Small Kitchen Appliance Covers
🎄