Other Uses for Cardboard

I use cardboard squares, which I cut out of cartons, etc., to put in the corner of the guinea pig cage and also in the ferret cage. These animals usually pick a couple of places to go and go there all the time, making this idea work. I just throw away the soiled square, it is so easy.

The squares, in a bigger size also work great for the bottom of the litter box, covered with baking soda and then the litter poured over it. I do this for the litter box most of the time. When it is time to change the litter, there is already a tool to scrape the box out with :).

My ferrets refuse to use the litter box, they are free spirits. Look at Stinker, or Tinker, trying to get out of the cage instead of take her daytime nap. A white ferret coming out of the wire cage.

I would already be tearing up cardboard to throw away anyway, so this gives it an extra use before it gets burned or ends up in the landfill.

I also use cardboard squares in the garden to keep weeds from growing. I simply put them in a place and cover them with dirt. I usually dig a moat-like thing around the cardboard square, then use the dirt from that. Then I plant on top of it. I have a picture of a potato hill I made this way, only using an old dog blanket. Of course, this is my yard, where my favorite flowers, Morning Glories have free reign, and they take over everything. They are taking over the potato hill, and then the bugs on the potatoes are killing the plants, but I enjoy the circular flower beds, with no regular weeds in it, anyway. A potato patch in a backyard.

I might end up putting the cheap solar lights from Walmart around this potato hill, as a kind of funny thing. I will do it in honor of my Dad, who was an innovator, an inventor, an engineer, and a nurse. I love, and remember him, especially this time of year, since this is the 8th anniversary of his passing into heaven. He once considered putting a fake UFO in the backyard, but decided against it, but I still remember he wanted to do that.

By Robin F. from Hampton, TN

Wow lot's of wonderful ideas! Luckily I have two fuzzies that use their litter boxes as expected (though over the last 20 years had a few spirits myself) I'm always trying to think of ways to re purpose everything. Thank you!

Really nice ideas and great story for sharing. Your father sounds a lot like my husband. It's fun living with a person whose mind is just so full of wonderful and inventive projects. Every day is a new adventure.

Thank you Robin.

What your guinea pig soiled squares could be doing is activating your compost heap if you add them to it. Both cardboard and their excrement are excellent for the compost. You can't use the cat's litter though as that won't help in the garden compost. Hope you get some good potatoes!

Better Living Green Living ReusingJune 15, 2011
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Reusing Cardboard, Stack of Corrugated Cardboard
Reusing Cardboard
Robot Costume made with cardboard boxes
Costume Ideas Using a Cardboard Box