Other Uses for Spice Racks

Category Storage
Spice racks have numerous handy uses other than organizing spice jars. Many small items, such as nails, paper clips, and beads, can be stowed away on a spice rack. This is a guide about ways to repurpose spice racks.

Normally, you would have one of these in your kitchen filled with some spices. Yet in this case, you could have it in, say, a craft room. Put something in each spice jar. For me, I have seeds from various plants that I either harvest or buy in larger quantities. For some other people, you might have beads, stickers, string, or even glitter, which is easy to use due to the shaker in the lid. Some people might have them in offices to hold thumbtacks, paper clips, rubber bands, or eraser tips.

I have a spice rack that I don't use. can someone please give me an idea as to what i can use the wooden cabinet for? I also still have all the spice bottles. Any ideas on what I could use the cabinet for? It has 2 drawers on the bottom and three tiers of shelves.

Thank you,
Sherry from Dixie, West Virginia

Best Answer

Do you craft? You could store beads, buttons, and glitter in the bottles. Or, with the empty rack, you could store fabric squares for quilting projects. How about using the rack for storing coupons, clipped notices from the newspaper, random photos, filing your bills, etc.

Best Answer

I have a spice rack from the 60s that my mother gave me. I sanded it down and spray painted it white and put it into my "cottage style" bedroom to hold all my little collectibles and small pictures. I just love how it turned out and I like taking something old and giving it a new use.

Best Answer

I use my old spice rack to store all my sewing tools. Much more organized than anything else I have used.

Best Answer

I use one for keeping my fragrant oil bottles in. I also have another one that I use to put my pretty little perfume bottles in - the small expensive ones that you can buy at Christmas.

Cheers

Wendy

Best Answer

I use one to line up all of my fingernail polishes. It's the perfect size for them. Also, all the bottles of different types of glues for my crafts. I also have the bottles of puffy paint, and other fabric paints, and treatments there.

THANK YOU WENDY, THAT IS ALSO A GREAT IDEA. I DO HAVE SEVERAL SMALL PERFUNE BOTTLES. I HAVE JUST RECENTLY STARTED COLLECTING THEM. SO THIS WOULD BE A GREAT PLACE TO DISPLAY THEM., INSTEAD OF ON MY DRESSER WHICH IS ALREADY OVER CROWDED.....LOL.....(WITH MY OTHER COLLECTIONS). I ALSO COLLECT THINGS WITH SMALL VICTORIAN ROSES ON THEM AND I HAVE THEM ALL OVER. I JUST CAN'T RESIST WHEN I SEE AN ITEM WITH ROSES......THANKS SO MUCH WENDY......KEEP THE IDEAS COMING EVERYONE......THANK YOU ALL.......HAVE A GOOD DAY........SHERRY

HELLO ALL, WELL, I FINALLY DECIDED TO USE THE CABINET AND SPICE BOTTLES....I'M PUTTING IT IN THE BATHROOM AND USING THE BOTTLES FOR BATH ITEMS LIKE SOAP GELS, BEADS, OILS AND POWDERS.....I'M SPRAY PAINTING IT A SAND COLOR TO MATCH MY WALLPAPER THAT HAS SEASHELLS ON IT. I WILL EITHER HOT GLUE SEASHELLS ON IT OR A SMALL FLOWER SWAG....NOT SURE YET....I WILL USE THE DRAWERS FOR NAIL CLIPPERS, NAIL FILES, ETC........THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR GREAT IDEAS.....I REALLY APPRECIATE IT....HAVE A GOOD DAY.......SHERRY

I'm glad we all were able to help you, Sherry! Have fun with your new project!!

~Crystal Ball~

HELLO ALL. WELL, I NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN. I HAVE A GEL FIREPLACE THAT USES CANS OF GEL FUEL. I WANT TO MAKE FAUX LOGS TO SET BESIDE IT IN A FIREWOOD BASKET. ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GO ABOUT MAKING THE LOGS LOOK LIKE REAL WOOD AND WHAT TO MAKE THEM OUT OF. I'M TRING ROLLING UP NEWSPAPERS AND PAINTING THEM A WOOD COLOR. WHAT COLOR SHOULD I PAINT THEM. (SPRAY PAINT). ANY BETTER IDEAS OTHER THAN NEWSPAPERS? NOT SURE HOW THESE WILL TURN OUT.........THANK YOU .........HAVE A GOOD DAY...........SHERRY

My oldest sister years ago,collected mini bottles.(booze) She would not open them,said the seal could not be broken.I was never sure, about the seal thing.She hung them in the kitchen,it looked like that was where they belonged.She rented alittle house,with every little money.It was a cute way to put something on the walls,and show off her bottles.She said if she every had money enough to have a mini bar, she would hang them behind it.

I have a nice round rotating spice rack full of old spices that I have never used. The spices are no longer good. Any ideas on what I can re-use the spice rack and bottles for rather than throwing them out?

By Donna W

Take the spices out and add crafty items in them. I have a spice rack with the bottles full of pins, buttons, beads etc, in my craft room.

Good idea Di Vito: Also, they are excellent for small hardware like nuts, screws, nails, etc. You can also put them inside your medicine chest for q-tips, cotton balls, antacids, and more. And lastly, don't throw out things that can be donated. If you live in an apt. complex, ask permission to leave "giveaways" in a free box in the laundry room. Everyone can use something you can't anymore.