Oven Heating To The Wrong Temperature

I have had the last two electric ovens in the house we live in be "off" in temperature control in the oven. For example, I set the dial to 375 degrees F and the oven heats up over that. I finally purchased an oven thermometer so I can see what temperature my oven is and try to regulate from watching that and dialing the temperature control.

I do store pots and pans in the oven when not in use. I do have the drawer underneath the oven full of items. Other than that I cannot figure out for the life of me why two ovens would both be "off" in temperature. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Trica from Kalamazoo, MI

Answers:

Oven Heating To The Wrong Temperature

Check the knobs to see if they are on right, on mine I can turn the knob. Mine was heating up way too hot. I looked at the knob and I was able to turn the dial with the numbers on it, so I adjusted the knob to the temperature that it was heating. Hope this helps. (11/13/2006)

By Rodney

Oven Heating To The Wrong Temperature

This is not unusual at all, and is not limited to electric ovens either. Gas ovens do the same thing. Having a good oven thermometer is a good idea no matter what kind of oven you have. (11/13/2006)

By Susabelle

Oven Heating To The Wrong Temperature

In most localities, a call to the local power company will bring out someone to calibrate your oven and reset it. This is not something the householder can or should do, so contact your power company and see if they can help. Good luck. (from a daughter of a power co. executive) (11/13/2006)

By Exasperated

Oven Heating To The Wrong Temperature

Since you already have a portable oven thermometer your 1/2 way there. Take the knob off the dial by pulling (usually). Insert a long skinny screwdriver into the shaft that the knob was on and turn to the right to raise the temperature or left to lower it. Give yourself time because you have to keep checking the thermometer. (11/13/2006)

By siris

Oven Heating To The Wrong Temperature

Here is my suggestion, go to appliance411.com enter in your model and it will give you some fixes that may help. I tried this link and was able to repair my ice dispenser. (11/14/2006)

By Brenda from Texas