Pad Trained Dog Peeing Everywhere

I have two dogs at home, a Schnauzer and a mix Silky Terrier. Both are around 6 years old. And they roam freely in my house. There is a specially designated area for my dogs to pee and poop inside the house and they have been doing so all along, until half a year ago (or maybe longer). My Schnauzer started peeing on the floor near the designated area.

Then recently it got worse as he pees even in the living room, kitchen, and even at his sleeping area (basically every corner in the house is possible). Most of the time, he does that only when you are not looking. But I did catch him peeing with my own eyes before and that is when I sounded and showed that I'm upset.

I am told that you need to show your dog that you're upset only when you catch him peeing wrongly and not after the action is done and only evidence is left behind. However, apparently it still didn't work. I've even tried sounding at him after the pee is found and have been doing it consistently, but it isn't helping.

He does seem to know and feel guilty about it, yet he is still doing it. I really feel helpless about it. I am not sure why he's doing it and have no idea how to solve the problem. As mentioned, this has been going on for quite some time now. Sometimes it's as frequent as twice a day and sometimes there is 'peace' for one whole week. It's basically done very randomly. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this problem of mine. Thanks in advance! :)

I would take the dog to the vet. You need to make sure there are no physical reasons why he cannot hold his urine.

Hi, but my dog does it randomly. If he has physical problems, it wouldn't be done randomly?

Something similar happened to my cat and it had to do with her kidney. Have your dog checked out professionally. Good luck!

I see. Did your cat pees randomly as well? My dog does it randomly hence I thought physical problem shouldn't be the case?

My 6 year old schnauzer became incontinent like you are describing. Never had any previous problem with him. Vet exam tested positive for diabetes. I then was told that schnauzer are prone to diabetes. Hope you can get him tested, because he cannot control his kidneys if so. I love this breed but will never consider having another one. My Nugen was so fun and affectionate, snored away on my pillow each night! LOL. Broke my heart to watch his decline over 3 more years but all our and vet's efforts were not going to make him better. Good luck and if vet clears him from diabetes, I would suggest you discuss ways to be proactive in prevention since this is recognized in this breed. Nugen was kenneled in a nice, well respected establishment. However they were totally full during Christmas time when we were traveling for 10 days. I was shocked when I went to collect him at the constant, loud barking from so many dogs. I was worried because such an environment would have really stressed him out. Stress is really bad on pancreas where sugars are metabolized so even tho Nugen only got healty dog food the stress overwrought his system and he began showing the signs very soon after bringing him home. Good Luck