Paint Advice For Kitchen With Maple Cabinets and Oak Floors

Please help me pick a paint color for my remodeled kitchen. I need to pick out paint this week. We have light stained maple cabinets to ceiling. Matching new oak hardwood floors. Tropical brown (black/brown) granite countertops with Stainless Steel Applicances. I just orders 2" light wood blinds.

Currently no backsplash because I can't decide. Do I pick a neutral color for the walls around the seating area or do I pick a color - I sort of liked Sherwood green by Benjamin Moore. If I do have a backsplash what color tiles?

I also put in new 6 panel oak doors. Two of the doors are very visible in the kitchen. I would also like a new kitchen set. I was thinking about glass table instead of adding more wood. I would love your suggestions.

I say go with a kitchen white. It will brighten up the room, provide a nice contrast for the wood, and just look fresh. Besides, should you decide to do something like add fabric, anything will match the white walls. Be sure you use a kitchen paint. They are designed to make it easier to wash the walls. The problem with using other colors is that you easily get cooking splatters and grease all over the place, and it is far easier to over look the dirt when the color isn't as obvious or bright as white. Besides, with all that gorgeous wood, why would you want to use a color that would wind up playing down the beauty of the wood. I used to like off white, but for some reason, as it ages, it starts to turn browner, and looks really awful in a very short period of time! (03/17/2005)

By skbeal

Paint Advice For Kitchen With Maple Cabinets and Oak Flo

I'd use something neutral for the backsplash, because you probably won't ever change that again. I'd also choose something light because it sounds like everything else in your kitchen is dark. Maybe white, cream, tan, or grey (I'd pick white).

I don't know what color Sherwood green is, but it sounds wonderfully foresty with all the wood in your kitchen. You might want to get a small container of paint and paint a large visible section to see how that will feel before deciding. Or if you have a sheet, blanket, tablecloth or some other big thing in a similar color, have someone hold that up against the wall to see if it feels too dark or anything. Make sure the color you choose goes with other things you will have like curtains and pictures.

One thing I noticed once about glass tables while watching a movie is that you can see through them to people's laps, so you can see them fidgiting and stuff. I wonder if anyone makes stainless steel tables. You could get a table with tile matching your backsplash (easy if you choose white tile). Or you could start using tablecloths on a wood table. (03/18/2005)

By Debbie

Thanks for the help. I bought a sample bottle of the sherwood green and I don't like it. Then I went to a local paint store with my samples of wood and granite and they suggested a cream color wall. I have decided this would go well and it would show off the new cabinets. I could add accent colors with flowers, paintings and seat cushions. I still haven't decided on a dinette set.

By Eileen

I also have new maple cabinets and I choose a redwood floor. With the maple color running through it. I thought it would be really dark. But it isn't. The color I have chosen for the walls is a yellow, much like a butternut squash color, with a lighter yellow on the ceiling. It has warmed my woods and brightened the kitchen. I chose a beautiful green quartz counter top. And my accents are a burgundy. I am very happy with the results. (07/21/2007)

By Dana

I'd suggest using a cream or gold-just keep it neutral. I like Tobacco Road by Sherwin Williams (old color, will probably have to ask for it). I also like Whole Wheat by Sherwin Williams. (07/29/2007)

By Mac

Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
Maple Tree
Growing Maple Trees