Paint on Polyester

How to remove paint from a polyester ski jacket? The paint is dry.

Ginger from Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

I read somewhere to try rubbing alcohol, but I've never tried it. (03/06/2007)

By Susan

Paint on Polyester

I have some first hand experience with this one. When my son was a freshman, while getting ready for his track meet he accidentally leaned against a freshly painted gymnasium wall while wearing his nylon track uniform. By the time he got home, the while paint had been dried on to the maroon jacket (zipper too) and pants for about 4 hours. His Physics teacher told him to use paint thinner to take it out. I figured it was worth a try. I spread the jacket and pants out on the cement patio and just poured paint thinner all over them. (The fumes are funky, so do this outside if it's a big job!)

I let it sit for a tiny bit to soak in, and started to scrub like crazy with a stiff scrub brush. It took a good long while, but I was able to clean every bit of paint from the outfit, and he was able to return it at the end of the season, with no one being the wiser. I thought it might damage the nylon, but it didn't. I don't know if paint thinner would damage polyester, but it's worth a try. Good luck! (03/07/2007)

By Donna from San Diego

Paint on Polyester

The rubbing alcohol works also. Just pour some on the paint, scratch with your thumb nail. Then wash. I had to get paint off my jeans leg from where I was painting our den. Didn't realize I had paint on the jeans until after I had washed and dried them. So I tried the rubbing alcohol and it does work too. (03/07/2007)

By Jean in GA