Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Painted Halloween Gourds

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Painted Halloween Gourds

Gourds of all shapes and sizes can be painted to create unique decorations. This guide is about painted Halloween gourds.

Solutions: Painted Halloween Gourds

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Glitter Gourd Ghouls

white and orange gourd ghouls in basketWhen I see gourds, I definitely think of fall, so when a friend gave me a bag of odd-shaped miniature gourds, I saw a whimsical Halloween craft. With a little bit of paint and lots of "bling" in the form of glitter, I crafted faux-sugared pumpkins and ghosts.

These charming Halloween ornies, bowl fillers or "treats" can be handed out to friends and co-workers this season. Any shape gourd will work for this craft. Some of the gourds I had seemed perfect for ghosts and others for pumpkins, but even with one shape, you can make both Halloween characters.

Approximate Time: 1 to 2 hours, includes drying time

• miniature dried gourds
  • orange acrylic paint
  • white acrylic paint
  • black acrylic paint
  • black paint pen
  • paint brushes
  • Mod Podge
  • clear crystal or iridescent glitter
  • ribbon and hot glue (optional)

Instructions:

1. Paint each gourd using either orange or white acrylic paint. Some of my gourds had stems, while others did not. I chose not to paint the stems. I just thought they looked more natural that way. Paint two coats for complete coverage.
  2. Use a black paint marker and black acrylic paint to make faces on the pumpkins and ghosts.
  3. Completely cover the surface of your painted gourds with Mod Podge. While the Mod Podge is still wet, sprinkle clear crystal or iridescent glitter over the gourds. I used both by mixing them together. Shake off the excess and allow them to dry. There is no need to buy several colors of glitter for this project.
  4. If using the Halloween gourds for ornies, make a loop with ribbon and hot glue it to the top or tie it to a stem.

By Cyndee from Winfield, KS

Tip: Painted Halloween Gourds

Painted Halloween GourdsJack O' Lantern: Cut out leaves from puff paper, you can use color you like best. Wash the gourd good, let dry. Whitewash and let dry, then paint. When dry, spray with sealer.

Pumpkin And Ghost: Wash gourd and let dry about half and hour. Whitewash whole gourd and let dry about half an hour, I do a few at a time because I give them as gifts. Paint pumpkin first, then ghost. These are so cute. Ghost painted on neck of gourd the bottom of which is painted as a Jack O Lantern.

By Sheri from Stockton, CA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!