Painting Advice for a Bathroom

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

I am painting my bathroom and looking for input. I am looking to paint it a blue color, maybe. I have a dark cherry cabinet, black granite countertop, dark blue mixed with lighter blue vessel sink and white tile floor. What color should I paint the walls?

By lynxx44 from Parlin, NJ

Answers:

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

I think blue is a great idea, but probably a lighter shade. However, blues are very hard to match, so go to your local paint store and in the shade (degree of lightness/darkness) you think you'd like, get lots and lots of samples. Go home and put them one at at time on that lovely bowl. When it's not the right blue, there will be a bit of a "jarring" note. When it's the right blue, it will just "fit". It's the eye, doing the telling, so you can only tell actually seeing the colors together.

I worked in a framing shop for a couple of years and I learned you have to put the colors together in front of you. You cannot imagine your way to the choice. There is actually a subtle body reaction when the colors "match" or coordinate, but it stems from the eye. (11/25/2009)

By PIKKA

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

Show case that beautiful sink and that cherry and go white. There is nothing wrong with setting it off to sparkle. If you must have a color, take a picture of the sink and counter top with you to the store, because blues are so hard to match. I say go with the palest of pale blues. (11/25/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

I would prefer white, ivory, cream or light tan walls. I think blue on the walls would be too much blue. Some contrast would make that sink stand out even more and it is a beauty. (11/25/2009)

By OliveOyl

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

Personally, wallpaper sounds like a better idea to me. The image I get from your description sounds luxurious. I would want to play that up with wallpaper not play it down with paint.

Bathrooms normally are pretty small so nice wall treatment wouldn't really break the bank. Unless your renting and you wouldn't probably want to sink a lot of money/time into someone else's property, unless your going to be there a long time. Have you ever gone to a wallpaper stores discontinued room? (normally a back room)

You can find a lot of very wonderful wallpaper for a lot less than what is currently "popular". You could even pick 2 coordinating papers to work in together, or even one wall papered like the one that's most often faced and looked at or the wall seen as you enter the room. Also, wallpaper will help keep a room warmer.

My mom taught me that. She used to own rental houses and apartments, so she knew a lot of "insider tricks". She hung most of the wallpaper at my old house and told me flannel backed paper was a better deal for such an old (170+ yr old house).

Another trick was to not strip off old wallpaper so it became a little bit of added insulation (so to speak). Some people would faint to hear that, but if it's in good condition, smooth, untorn, not bumpy and so on you really can't see. Plus I ran into old walls in my old house that I regretted starting removing wallpaper, because some of the plaster started coming off in chunks as the paper was taken off. It was actually holding the wall together.
LOL (11/28/2009)

By melody_yesterday

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

I would paint the walls white. You can even use bedding compound and a stencil to add designs to the wall before painting. Just be sure not to overdo this, less is more. Using white paint will really make the dark cherry, and blue sink pop. If you want more blue, you can add it with towels, pictures and accessories. But I wouldn't paint the walls blue, not even a light blue. (11/28/2009)

By moogie53

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

I say light grey or blue. Anything dark is going to box it in.
(11/28/2009)

By damaged05170

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

Light beige or taupe would be perfect for your bath. Otherwise, I suggest creamy white as the others have suggested. You already have a lot of dark colors going on there. So you'll want to add some light to offset that.

I once read that for every black item in a room there should be one white item. Maybe you can use this formula to create balance in your bathroom. If you have a grey, use a cream, etc. (11/28/2009)

By Carol in PA

Painting Advice for a Bathroom

I love the blue palette myself. Even in a larger bathroom, very bright white would be beautiful. I agree with some of the other posters that using dark blue/blue palette in your decorations and accessories would be best. BTW your basin is beautiful. (11/28/2009)

By Peggy