Painting Ceramic Tile

I have blue ceramic tile as a backsplash in in kitchen. I want to paint it white. Any ideas on how to do this? What prep is needed? Sure appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Renee from ST. Louis, MO

Answers:

Painting Ceramic Tile

Yes, Absolutely! Just be sure to use a primer coat first.

By darween

Painting Ceramic Tile

Yes, it can be done. Primer will definitely help. My neighbor did this, and the only word of caution I can give you is to be careful how you clean it.

Do not clean the painted surface with an abrasive cleanser like comet. It scratches off the paint.

Chelsea

Painting Ceramic Tile

Home depot sells a paint to use on ceramic tile. I used it. works great. Just prime first. (03/14/2005)

By margo

Painting Ceramic Tile

Yes, you can certainly paint your ceramic wall tiles, but first you'll need to use a TILE PRIMER which you should be able to find in a hardware store along with a specific TILE PAINT. I have just painted my kitchen cupboard doors using laminate primer and laminate paint. The laminate and tile paints can be tinted to various colors but you can also just do white. It does advise to be careful when cleaning this paintwork and not to use anything abrasive. Just try to clean up any splashes and spills as they occur. I was pretty happy with the laminate paint when I'd finished and was prepared to paint my splash back tiles also, but hubby decided to retile instead :)
Hope this helps! (03/09/2006)

By jojo

Painting Ceramic Tile

I painted tile in my bathroom. I used a paint from Lowe's that is a primer just for that. It came out great. Good luck (03/11/2006)

By melinda

Painting Ceramic Tile

Yeah! I saw Debbie Travis do this on "Debbie Travis' Painted House' on HGTV. It looked really neat. It must be pretty durable, because she did around a shower. I don't remember all her steps, but here's her website so you can look it up: www.painted-house.com Good Luck! Shu-shu (03/13/2006)

By Shu-shu

Painting Ceramic Tile

You must use a primer that will adhere to the tile. If you use a general purpose primer it will peel off. Try going to national brand paint store like ICI Paints or Sherwin-Williams. You will get sound advice from them. (06/25/2006)

By gezer2u

Painting Ceramic Tile

Ceramic tile can easily be painted, the key part is to make sure you use the right primer. You want to use a specialty primer, not a regular wall primer. The primer will bond to and block out the color of the tile which is what you want. Then you can use your choice of gloss or satin finish as the final coat.

(08/24/2007)

Painting Ceramic Tile

We actually did this in our bathroom, it worked awesome. We had powder blue tiles all over. We used a "gripper primer" which takes a bit of effort and very smelly. Make sure you use a proper mask when applying the gripper. Then you can pick you color of paint, just make sure its a glossy finish. Worked really well for us. (01/13/2008)

By Beth

Painting Ceramic Tile
Painting Ceramic Tile
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Installing Tile
Installing Tile
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
🎉
🎄