Painting Ceramic Tile

I have the ugliest island with the weirdest shade of blue tile in my kitchen. When we moved in the colors were wrong, and when we re-did our kitchen, not a lot, the colors are still wrong.

I recently got the idea that I can paint or craftily change the tiles to match my granite kitchen countertops with a dapple of the different. I am not crafty so I need a lot of help. Our granite counter tops have black, terracotta, a bit of silverish color, and dark gray.

I'm doing my accent colors of the rest of the kitchen in terracotta and an shade of yellow that is not sunny, but more subdued; think Italian villa-ish. The tile size is about 3 x 3. Can anyone help me please?

I would prefer painting them not a solid color, but will take any advice. If I can't paint colors to match the granite, maybe I can paint them solid. Maybe that would be best? Remember, I'm no artist or crafter, but would like a simple solution. Surely one of you has painted tile before. I know you won't let me down. Thanks so much.

By metroplex from Houston

Answers:

Painting Ceramic Tile

I don't want to let you down but if you are going to use this surface for cutting food, you might not want paint on it. If it is just a counter top why not make a pretty quilted pad for it that you could remove when you are using it. (04/28/2010)

By Lilac

Painting Ceramic Tile

No, I don't use it to cut food on. It's just like a big elephant in the kitchen! More like a catch all - which I'm working on changing. Anyone else out there that can help, me please? Thanks! (04/30/2010)

By metroplex

Painting Ceramic Tile

Thank you so much for your information and ideas; I had no idea that there would be so much to do before painting.

But I neglected one part; I want to paint the blue tile in different colors, to try to blend in my granite tile counters.

The granite is black, silver, terracotta basically.

Would I have to dab each color on?
Do I have to wait until the color dries before I use the next color?

Thanks so much. Your ideas are fabulous! (05/05/2010)

By metroplex

Painting Ceramic Tile

The back splash in my kitchen is 3X3 tiles and I used Wallies (palm tree design) on the tiles - they are wall paper cutouts. Not sure if that would be suitable for a counter top though but here is the URL (I found a design with olives - Italian theme): http://www.wallies.com/olive-tiles-products-5364.php?page_id=16. (05/20/2010)

By lcorona57