Painting Counter Tops To Look Like Granite

I want to update my kitchen. How do I paint countertops to look like granite? Also, I am interested in ideas on how to paint my cheap white cupboards. I want to change the color of the walls. Any help would be great, I am a retired women on a fixed budget.

By kenocyndy from Sarasota FL

Hi there, fellow lady on fixed income! I found my butcher block look countertops were out of style and worn; will pass along my story. For granite, you will need black, one litre or quart of melamine paint; this is under $10.00. Also one can, smaller if you can find it, of off-white; a quart of Clearcoat Gloss and some foam brushes, and a dollar store feather duster, the little one, real feathers. Clean your counter top well, and give a quick going over with fine sandpaper making sure you get all the dust.

With your foam brush, apply even coat of black; you may need 2 coats; dry overnight; open white; pour some white and black into a foil pie pan, and mix a bit; take scissors and trim your feather duster halfway down; dip it in the paint, blot on rag or paper towel, then dab, dab, dab, till you like it; careful not to overdo; then follow the same with the white, being careful to not overdo it; a rule of thumb is, (if it looks like maybe more?) then its enough.

Then let it dry, and the next day, clear coat, once more, start on one end and work to the other, trying not to overlap; it will look milky but this will go away it dries; try to put not too heavy, not too light; the results are super and the compliments unbelievable. I look forward to helping anyone with anything. I will try to get you a picture of mine. Happy remodeling. Mine was burgundy, but you can make it any color. Good luck. (05/06/2009)

By 1027debbie

Removing Stains from Granite, Granite Kitchen Counter and Stainless Sink
Removing Stains from Granite
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Recycled Summer Top
Recycled Summer Tops