Painting Each Room a Different Color

Category Painting
Couple Painting Each Room a Different Color
When you like variety in the color of each room in your home, you want a good transition so all the colors complement each other. This is a guide about painting each room a different color.

My question is about many colors. I like pale colors, and I have a foyer and stairs that lead to my kitchen, office, dining room, and living room. I know my kitchen will be a pale yellow, my office sky blue, and pale green in living room (all off of the foyer).

I have a dining room with pine furniture. I need some suggestions on the foyer and the dining room (paint colors). Would the same pale yellow be too much for those rooms all feeding off each other? I love yellow.

By Donna from Atlanta, GA

Answers

I would go to a neutral color, like taupe or gray(on the decorating shows gray seems to be really popular now), even a sage green would be nice, because that is considered a neutral.

Pale yellow would be great in the foyer, not too much at all. For the dining room try a pale peach, apricot, or coral. Those colors would tie in with the rest of your colors and look good with the pine furniture. A soft aquamarine (robin's egg color) would be good also.

I think it's good to use no more than two or three colors in a house, but you can use varying shades. So, use your yellow in a few places, but go one shade up or one shade down here and there. I also think it helps to draw it out on paper and look at how the colors flow.

Also, make sure the colors are all in the same tone. Hope that helps!

You sound like an excellent decorator and your plans are splendid. As long as you like it, that is what counts...right?

I agree though with Allison5 about varying shades. Maybe you can use varying shades on the walls and trim? One light yellow on the walls in the foyer with a vibrant bright yellow trim. Paint the kitchen the bright vibrant yellow with light yellow trim. Just some ideas...

You have to like it when you get done. Remember chocolate brown compliments light blue, so maybe you could paint the trim in your office chocolate brown with light blue walls. Taupe compliments pale green colors also.