Painting Glass

Category Glass Art
Painting Glass
A creative, fun craft that can decorate containers, ornaments, blocks, and household items, is painting glass. This is a guide about painting glass.

Glass lamps are a great decor item that can easily be customized by being painted to your liking. This is a guide about painting glass lamps.

A clear glass lamp.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Using the wrong paint on your glass block project can be disastrous. This is a guide about painting glass blocks.

Colorful painted glass blocks.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about painting glass ornaments. Painting glass Christmas ornaments can become a tradition in you household. They are great as gifts too.

Painted Glass Ornament

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about glass painting craft project ideas. An attractive way to decorate a bottle or jar is by painting it.

painted glass vase

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about painting glass bottles. Painting glass bottles is a great craft for showcasing your artistic talents and making beautiful or whimsical decorative pieces for your home or to give as gifts.

Painting Glass Bottles

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a number of very plain large glass vases that I have kept over the years. I was thinking about throwing them out and then thought it would perhaps be neat to paint them. Any idea where I could get ideas on what to paint and what kind of paints to use?

Madeleine

Donna Dewberry has a few books out dedicated to glass painting with Folkart Enamel paint. The paint is very good, and the books have many ideas even if you don't want to copy the patterns exactly as they appear.

Hi,

You can get ideas and all the supplies at most art/craft stores...Michaels and Hobby Lobby both have online sites also. May I suggest looking into etching,it looks so much more elegant. These supplies are alos available at the above mentioned stores. I hope this helps. JAN in NC""

A friend of mine got some clear stained glass paint and rubbed it on with one finger on the inside of her front door window so that it would not be see through. It looks really neat and probably would on a vase too. It costs like $2 a bottle at Walmart.

You can paint to give a stained glass effects. Many patterns are available for free, online.

http://chantals … glass.50megs.com is an example.

Can I use glass enamel paint on the inside of a glass block? I am trying to avoid brush strokes.

Glass paint does come in a spray to avoid brush strokes.

Did you really mean you plan to paint on the "inside" of a glass block? Or did you mean the outside? I do not think I have seen anyone paint on the inside but maybe you have found a way.

There are lots of sites that give instructions for painting on the outside of blocks but most of them recommend "roughing" up the glass first if you want a truly lasting paint job. I believe most people are using either spray paint (and doing this correctly takes practice) or they are working with some sort of sponge. Streaks don't usually show up until a light is placed in or behind the block.

Just in case you are wanting something inside the block then you will probably have to drill a larger than normal hole in the side of the block. Here is a link that has some good instructions for inside and out side of blocks.

http://designed … ng-glass-blocks/

Here is a link to a free e-book that has a lot of information on this subject. It is a PDF file and is safe to use.

http://www.miss … ating-sucess.pdf

Pour a lot of liquid paint inside the glass and then turn it in many directions to coat the inside then drain the excess out the hole. Leave it upside down on a rack to drain and dry for several days.

I have white glass lamp shades on my kitchen chandelier. I want to remove them, and spray paint them a "color".

My question would be, what is the best paint to use, where to purchase it, and if anyone has painted glass lamp shades with "success"? I am a huge fan of "spray paint", but never used it on glass shades.

By MJo from Spencerport, NY

I know there is a paint you can use. Please go to your local craft store.

First, wash the shade with TSP. Make sure it is clean! If it is "glossy" you may have to sand it first. Your local paint or craft store may have a paint that you can use. Perhaps the "stained" glass paint i.e. the one you use to make a pane of glass to look like stained glass. Make sure the paint is heat resistant, as a light bulb can give off a lot of heat.

If you use a faux glass paint like Gallery Glass by Decoart, please follow the prep instructions that come with the paint. It does not come in spray that I know of, you may have to paint it on by hand. Or you could try spattering it on with an old toothbrush. Be sure do this technique inside a paint tent. These can be made from a cardboard box with one side cut out.

I've been working with glass paint, aka gallery glass paint, and I'm wondering how I can make it permanent? I don't think that it already is because I see things that you can make window clings with it.

By Karen from Luthersburg, PA

There are 2 different types of glass paint; the sort you use on acetate then peel off and stick on windows and such, and there is 'normal' glass paint which is usually permanent, and is OK to wash, but before putting in a dishwasher its advisable to 'bake' it first at 140 degrees for 15/20 mins, to 'set' it. This advice was on my porcelain paints, which can also be used on glass, but glass paints cant be used on porcelain. I bake all my glass paint projects, and so far no peeling when put in dishwasher. Hope this helps. Good luck.