Painting Gourds

Category Nature
Painted gourds.
Painted gourds make beautiful decorations for all occasions and are also wonderful to give as gifts. This is a guide about painting gourds.

When I see gourds, I definitely think of fall, so when a friend gave me a bag of odd-shaped miniature gourds, I saw a whimsical Halloween craft. With a little bit of paint and lots of "bling" in the form of glitter, I crafted faux-sugared pumpkins and ghosts.

These charming Halloween ornies, bowl fillers or "treats" can be handed out to friends and co-workers this season. Any shape gourd will work for this craft. Some of the gourds I had seemed perfect for ghosts and others for pumpkins, but even with one shape, you can make both Halloween characters.

Approximate Time: 1 to 2 hours, includes drying time

Instructions:

1. Paint each gourd using either orange or white acrylic paint. Some of my gourds had stems, while others did not. I chose not to paint the stems. I just thought they looked more natural that way. Paint two coats for complete coverage.
  2. Use a black paint marker and black acrylic paint to make faces on the pumpkins and ghosts.
  3. Completely cover the surface of your painted gourds with Mod Podge. While the Mod Podge is still wet, sprinkle clear crystal or iridescent glitter over the gourds. I used both by mixing them together. Shake off the excess and allow them to dry. There is no need to buy several colors of glitter for this project.
  4. If using the Halloween gourds for ornies, make a loop with ribbon and hot glue it to the top or tie it to a stem.

By Cyndee from Winfield, KS

Purchase small gourds to use this year and then allow them to dry for next year. Small gourds take several months to dry so better get started now. Mold on the gourds is a natural part of the drying. Store in a cool place with plenty of room to rotate them often. Use rubber gloves as the mold on some may irritate some people. Check with your local produce departments in the supermarket to see if they have any left over after Thanksgiving or Halloween they would like to get rid of.

Once dry they will be very light in weight and you will be able to shake them and hear the seeds. Now that they are dry, use rubber gloves to wash with a bit of Clorox and dish soap. It takes some elbow grease to get them clean. Allow them to dry.

Once dry, paint with acrylic paints. When dry and painted to your liking, spray well with several coats of poly. Spray either matte finish or satin. They will last for years to come. Mine are about 10 years old. Store and make sure no critters like mice can gnaw on them to get to the seeds inside.

By Cmcmamo from Ballwin, MO

Pick your gourds, wash in dish soap and bleach, let dry, about an hour. Pick which colors of acrylic paint you want to use on the dress, and skin tone for the face and you are ready to paint. When you are finished painting, set aside and let dry, I always let them dry overnight just to be sure.

two beautifully painted gourd angels

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for images to paint on gourds for the flower bed. Does anyone have some ideas? Some of the shapes I have are bottle gourds, warty gourds, and swans. Thank you.

By pg

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Have you considered hollowing at least 1 out of the bottleneck ones and putting flowers in them and hanging on a railing, fence or low tree branch? You have to put water in it just like a regular vase. These are very nice and I saw it in one of the magazines online. Just thought I'd throw that one out there. If you don't want to paint them all, you could also put little leaf, acorn, pumpkin and flower stickers on them. They have all kinds plastic, paper and felt ones at most craft stores and Dollar Tree too. Check out BHG.com for painting and craft ideas. Anyway, have fun crafting and Happy Autumn! : D

I am new at painting gourds. What are the best tools to use as a beginner? Where can I purchase them without spending a lot of money?

By Phyl from IA

Pick up a cheap set of paintbrushes and a variety of paint that you think would look good. If you have a dollar store or similar type store near you that would be a good place to start. Other than that I would try hobby lobby, Michaels, or Walmart. If you are going to do it often I would recommend getting a nicer set of paint brushes and if you are going to paint a background color spray paint might be a quick and easy option. Just be sure to let it dry before you paint any designs.