Painting Metal Cabinets

I am wondering if anyone has painted metal cupboards. I have two that need to be painted or replaced. I thought if it isn't too major of a project, I might try it. Help.

Chris from Oshkosh, WI

Answers:

Painting Metal Cabinets

Do not use water based paints. (11/02/2008)

By Lou

Painting Metal Cabinets

Rustoleum has a wonderful product. It's in a spray can, and a paint can. Use the paint/can and roll it on, then brush it out. They have wonderful hammered metal looks. I love the brown hammered metal paint. I've use it to repaint all of my dated brass lights and bathroom accessories.

It's oil based, no need to prime. You will need to do 2 - 3 coats. Read the directions. The second coat needs to be done within 4 hours or you need to wait 7 days (I know, weird, but it's a chemical process I guess.) It's cheap too. Like $12/can. Lowe's has this paint. Home Depot doesn't seem to carry the hammered metal in a paint can, just the spray can. Good luck.

(11/03/2008)

By Sheryl

Painting Metal Cabinets

I am painting metal kitchen cupboards. They are Retro from the 50s and was told to use a primer. I am using a speed primer, on the inside of the cupboards, a white semi-gloss. On the outside a Cranberry. I found out I had to use at least 2 to 3 coats of primer to cover the green colour. Good luck on your project. (11/12/2008)

By Dale