Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls

Painting walls stained with nicotine from smoking can be frustrating because it tends to bleed through the paint. This is a guide about painting over smoke stained walls.

Here are questions related to Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls.

Question: Painting a Smoker's Room

I am painting a room which has been smoked in for 15 years. I have washed all the walls down, however, it keeps coming back even though I have put on 5/6 coats of paint.

By Kevin

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J [46]06/02/2012

A smoking house hold can give many problems, that don't stop with the first could washings. We had our home professionally painted for the ceilings. The problem was there with the first room. Thank heavens they recognized it. Asked if there had been smokers in it. Yeah, the guy died because of his smoking habits. Special paints had to be applied. And then they continued to redo all the ceilings.

This is a 100 year old house where walls were plaster as well. No sheet rock. That could be another issue. Wall substance.

All my beautiful woodwork had to be cared for....nicotine still keeps coming out. Washing woodwork will give your rag the color of nicotine as well as the smell of it. Sealing it ever couple years helps. We have owned this house for 26 years and it still seeps out. Good luck.

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke on Walls

I need to remove the smoke from my walls. I smoke cigarettes.

By Eleanor

Question: Painting Nicotine Stained Walls

How do I paint over nicotine stained walls?

Karen from Fayetteville, TN

Most Recent Answer

By Polly Levesque [28]03/04/2009

I've found that using microfiber cloths work beautifully using just plain water! Naturally, you'll need to change the water frequently, and do have more than a couple of cloths ready for the job. If you want, you can use them on a "Swiffer" handle. Just tuck the edge in as you would a wet Swiffer and you'll get plenty of power behind it. If you want, I remember a previous post which said that using "Scrubbing Bubbles" works great, so you can probably try that too.

Solutions: Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!