Painting Over Wallpaper

People often ask if wallpaper can be painted over. The answer is yes, if it is smooth with no tears. You might want to give it a good wiping down first with a good sized dry cloth. Remember to always allow time for drying (curing) etc.

Five years ago I applied a coat of Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer and then painted over it. To this day it still looks great and is holding quite well. I also painted a stucco type paint over a wall that was covered in a fabric/cloth wallpaper and it too still appears to be in excellent shape.

By brushoff from Oshawa, Canada

It Was Common

When I was young nobody primed wall paper before painting over it. They just plain painted over it and that was good. This was back in 40s-50s.

By redhatterb

Removal Will Be a Chore

I feel sorry for anyone who buys your house. Removing wallpaper that has been painted over is really a chore. I know, I have done it. I hope anyone who does this plans on leaving it there forever.

By Laniegirl

Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
🎄