Painting Plastic Bottles to Reuse

We are having a family get together soon. I am tired of recycling all those water and Gatorade bottles. How can I prep the empty bottles for the kids to paint (so they use the same bottle all weekend), wash, and reuse? Do I use a plastic primer then acrylic or oil based paint or do I use the Krylon primer? Thanks.

By Sarah

You could put a different color rubber band for each child around the bottle.

Duct tape and sharpie markers work really well, and should last through the weekend. Freezer tape also, but duct tape is so easily available now.

Some of those bottles are so flimsy they might not last the weekend - and they're not easy to wash nor are they supposed to be refilled. Why don't you get some sturdy plastic tumblers at the dollar store and have the kids use those? You won't have to worry about possibly toxic paint either.

Disposable plastic water bottles and sport drink bottles like Gatorade are made with HDPE #1 plastic. They are meant for original one time use only. Chemicals from that plastic leaches into beverages you refill them with thereafter.

I agree with purchasing inexpensive tumblers or even water bottles meant for reuse along with using freezer tape, or even painters tape, instead of duct tape because duct tape residue is difficult to remove. I also wouldn't use any sort of paint directly on plastics for beverage or foods because the chemicals from the paint will most likely leach into the plastic and hence into the contents of the container.

Rule of thumb for reusing plastics for any food or beverage is that it be 'food grade' recycle #2, #4 or #5.

Oh, I reuse empty non-dairy creamer bottles for beverages. They are the safe #2, have a closeable spout and it's easy to remove their labels.

Good luck getting the kids to reuse them. I always tried that with glasses at home with the kids, and still ended up with a sink full of dirties. Till I started making them do the dishes!

But I do hope that you find a great idea for your gathering, and hope you all have lots of fun!

Need Help Painting Plastic
Crafts AdviceAugust 2, 2011
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Painting Glass Bottles
Painting Glass Bottles
Painting on Plastic