Painting Press Board Furniture

I need opinions and creative ideas. My husband and I are going to be getting an entertainment center and two tall bookshelves from our in-laws. They are a light wood colored pressed board. So, to be creative and maybe add to our color scheme, I thought we'd paint them before we get them in the house... my husband has yet to be convinced.

Our colors are red, olive, and a golden yellow. I've been watching decorating shows, and I want my "new" furniture to have some character. Thanks. (If it helps, we have a large wall that is red, and two couches that are a solid olive color.)

Olivia from Baton Rouge

Painting Press Board Furniture

My friend undertook the same project as you, so I asked her. She showed me the bookshelves she painted. 2 were with a water based paint, not good. The water base permeated the covering or (wood looking material). The other 3 were with a high gloss enamel. They look great. Not sure what will work for you, but thought you would want to know her problems (to avoid having your own).

By Jan

Painting Press Board Furniture

I would think that you could paint the pressed board furniture, if you first painted it with Kilz or a similar primer. Your colors sound wonderful! (01/19/2006)

By Sharon

Painting Press Board Furniture

Prime first, then use an enamel paint. Latex enamel works great if you don't like the oil paint smell. (01/20/2006)

By Anonymous

Painting Press Board Furniture

Is this pressed board actually paintable? Can you do a test section?
I would actually go neutral in the tan family just because you may want to change your color scheme in a few years and want the entertainment set to blend in instead of needing re-painting.

By cookwie

Painting Press Board Furniture
Fabric Steam Press
Repairing a Fabric Steam Press
wrinkled slacks
Removing Wrinkles from Permanent Press Clothing
Singer Magic Steam Press
Repairing a Singer Magic Steam Press 7
Christmas cookies made with a cookie press.
Using a Cookie Press