Painting Vinyl Wall Panels

I have vinyl coated drywall panels on my walls. I would like to know if they can be painted. What kind of paint would I need to buy and do I have to primer them first? My home is a double wide and the walls have the vinyl coated drywall panels with board strips between them. I would also like to know how to remove them boards and how to make them look like regular dry wall when I paint them. Is there something I could get to put on the wall between the panels so I don't have them board strips on the wall? I would like to make it smooth like drywall looks.

Thanks,
Dorothy from Pennsylvania

Painting Vinyl Wall Panels

Answers:

Painting Vinyl Wall Panels

Hi, I have a single wide mobile home and we have painted our walls. We took the wooden strips off and filled in the gaps with joint compound. Let it dry completely and then sand, you might have to refill again and sand. Then we primered over all of that, you will need a really good primer. We used OOPS from Lowe's. Then paint over as a normal wall. Good luck. (01/24/2007)

By Michele

Painting Vinyl Wall Panels

Dorothy, I just painted my bedroom; the walls were wood paneling, but the ceiling is some sort of vinyl covered squares. I used a primer from Ace and then regular ceiling paint. It applied very well and looks really good. I will have to see how durable it is in the long run. If you asked at a larger home improvement center I think that they would give you some helpful information because I am sure that lots of people have the same type of walls that you do and have tried to redecorate them too. Good luck to you! Paula (01/24/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Painting Vinyl Wall Panels

I had a mobile home with the same type walls. We took off the strips and filled them as you would wall board. Since mobile homes tend to move a bit after a while, the joints began to show cracks. Solved this by buying (ON SALE) a paintable wall paper with thin up and down pattern. Looked very nice and no cracks. After a time we painted and it looked even nicer. The paper is still on the walls and even after a few paintings, looks nice. (01/24/2007)

By lavonneann

Painting Vinyl Wall Panels
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
abstract tree wall decal
Making Vinyl Wall Decals
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
🎄