Painting Walls Red

I want to paint the wall above my chair rail deep red. The wall was previously wallpapered. After steaming off the wallpaper we spackled and sanded any imperfections and primed with gray primer. Now two coats of Lowe's expensive red paint later it seems like every little imperfection shows. I am wondering, is it the red or the satin finish of paint causing this? I used a light cream color below the chair rail and have not had any of these problems. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Diane from PA

Answers:

Painting Walls Red

It's just the red. I painted my kitchen cabinets Ralph Lauren red and it took 4 coats. Red paint is just like that.

(03/15/2009)

By Starchild in VT

Painting Walls Red

I would definitely use a flat paint instead of satin finish. Even though red is a tough color, you will see less imperfections with a flat paint and the walls are still easy to clean if you are using a good quality paint. (03/17/2009)

By rowinghome

Painting Walls Red

We painted my daughter's kitchen red and had the same problem. I think it was the satin finish, a flat paint would have hid imperfections. We left it and by the time we got the cabinets and pictures and curtains and such done, you didn't notice it. (03/18/2009)

By falldowngobump

Painting Walls Red

(Submitted via email)

Anytime you paint red, you must use a medium gray primer paint first! When painting red on top of white, it gives it a pink hue, on top of leaving roller marks! Any paint store should have helped you with that. Good luck!
Laura (03/28/2009)

By Sally_Admin

Painting Walls Red

Mix Floetrol before painting. We repainted our bedroom walls with Behr's Chianti. After first coat we got totally shocked by the result, but after one of the suggestions from this page we used Floetrol and it did the magic.
(04/14/2009)

By sumisaran

Paint Roller being used to paint walls red
Painting Walls Red
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Red delicious apples.
Recipes Using Red Delicious Apples
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄