Painting a Bathtub

I have a question in regards to painting on plastic. I recently purchased an old house that has a plastic liner for my bath tub. It is all stained with rust and I would like to paint over this until I can afford to replace it.

Could you give me any pointers, that might help me to cover the plastic and paint it with water resistant paint. If you know of a product that you believe would work, I would appreciate knowing where I could purchase it. I live near Indianapolis, Indiana, if there is someone near here. Thank you.

Karen

Answers:

Painting a Bathtub

While I've never painted a bathtub, I can tell you we have painted several of the children's plastic outside toys with Fusion spray paint. It really does stay on well even through the season changes and weather. So I would expect it to work for you as well. They have it at Home Depot and Lowe's, probably even Wal-Mart. (05/29/2009)

By gigurl

Painting a Bathtub

I've always painted my bathtubs, because I like color. It's no big deal. Walmart has a two-part bathtub epoxy, and you can have the paint department tint it any color you want. Just clean, sand the surface of the tub a little, make sure it's really dry, (wait a day or so). Then paint it with a brush. It'll be dry in an hour or so, and ready to use in a couple of days. It does get dull after a few years, but by then you might be in the mood for a new color anyway. So as long as the tub is really cleaned and sanded, you can paint it.

*By the way, I also painted my roof shingles, no primer, regular water-based paint. It's not peeling or anything, after several years. Beware of "experts" telling you that something can't be done. (08/29/2009)

By easyguy

An old clawfoot tub.
Painting a Bathtub
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎄