Painting a Bird Bath

You may be able to give a lift to an old birdbath by painting it. Paint choice and application are your major considerations. This is a guide about painting a bird bath.

I cleaned up an old plastic bird bath that someone had thrown out. After I cleaned it I spray painted it. I have set it in 3 different places in my grassy area of the yard and I have yet, in one week, to see any birds drink or bathe in the birdbath. Could this possibly be because I spray painted the plastic? Thank you.

It is possible that, if the plastic is leached into the water due to the heating effect of the sun, that the birds are shunning it for that reason. Plastics are after all neurotoxic and cancer causing.

Additionally, maybe there are squirrels or other creatures using the bath, or otherwise harrassing the birds.

You could try to install a non painted bath to see if they are attracted more to it. In that case, your suspicion was correct.

Yes. It might have a texture, taste or smell they don't like. Try another birdbath and see if there is a difference.

I want to paint a bird bath. What kind of paint should I use? Are paints non-toxic?

By Kaywede from Williamsburg, VA

Good morning..

I suggest that you use "Patio Paints" made by DecoArt- they are strictly for indoor/outdoor projects and I do have a few instructions leaflets for birdbaths from Terra Cotta Pots and it suggests to use these type paints. Good luck..oh, you can find them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I have not seen them at any Walmart.

Paints are far from non-toxic until they are set. Once the paint is dry the toxicity is locked up. Three-part paints are the worst, the kind that once mixed will set whether you were ready or not. If you want to be very sure the paint is harmless, bake the painted birdhouses in a very gently warm oven for a half-hour.