Painting a Kitchen with Orange Cabinets

Choosing a wall paint color to complement your cabinets is an important part of developing your kitchen color scheme. This is a guide about painting a kitchen with orange cupboards.

I have orange kitchen cupboards and need to redecorate. What colours should I use? It is a L shaped kitchen. I can't afford to change cupboards, so I need to change the walls and maybe the floor. They are just a bit brighter than burnt orange.

By Maria W from Kent, England

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

Try a pale yellow on the walls and light wood or wood look floor. Try and find fabric with both colors for curtains. Also looks like you have a textured ceiling, usin a 6" putty knife or taping knife, scrape the ceiling (doesn't have to bee completely smooth, just scrape off the 'knuckle grabbers) then paint and you will find the ceiling just fades into the background. Use pops of colors for placemats, napkins and decorative items. Good luck

Best Answer

You can't make a leopard change it's spots. You have a retro kitchen so go with it. Shop second hand stores for retro stuff. Enamelware in pale yellow or robins egg blue would be cute. Or I'm sure you could find Fiesta ware dishes and containers that would coordinate. Get an old Coke sign for the wall. I love the cabinets and think you could make it look really good with a little time in the thrift stores.

Best Answer

Paint the walls in a matching, or a shade darker or lighter, than the cabinets to have a more uniform look.

If it were me, I would be painting the cupboards! It is a long procedure to do it right but it would be worth it in my opinion. This Old House website had a good tutorial on it.

If you could paint the cabinets, that would be ideal. But if you can't do that, I would suggest using a soft green, soft blue, or a ta or brown for the rest of it.

Love this! I would do a black and white checkerboard floor. Then paint the walls a metallic silver or even gray.

If you like the cabinet color then keep it. They look like metal and would be easy to repaint. But that floor has to go. You can remodel a little or go whole hog. Whichever way you decide to go, you need to make yourself happy. This is one of those things you will be keeping for a while. Any remodel large or small always makes me feel good. It is nice to update.

I will not be unbiased here as I hate the color orange. That said, I would paint or contact paper over them. If you can't afford the floor work, then paint the cupboards something that will bring them together. And the Retro poster was spot on. Find an era you like...the 40's is my fav...and get things that will bring it all together.

You are lucky in that you have some extra counter space but if you want to pretty it all up, build a shelf above the counters and put smaller things on it, out of the way but visible. You can build very cool shelves by filling a glass jars with everything from 16 bean soup to cookie cutters, pasta (esp. the multicolored kind), or anything decorative that you don't need to use, then placing boards on top. I covered mine with wall paper and used veggie cans and will send you a sample of what I did in my kitchen.

I have orange counters, and I can't fix them. You are very lucky. We all sent you some "nifty thrifty" ideas so please let us know what you came up with?

I'm with Beth; keep it retro with the style of your house. I like Dakota's idea to paint the walls a soft, pale, butter yellow. This will really make the room look cheerful.

If you go to Amazon they have special paper for counter tops, one is made by contact paper, I am sure you know that brand, and there is another brand, specifically made for counter tops. They have one that resembles granite, one that looks like butcher block and others.

Also there is paint you can buy now that you can redo anything from plastic to metal or wood. I am so amazed at what can be done, I do feel if you are on a budget it seems like paint would be the best way to go, you will be able to get more for your money.

Plus you can always find it on sale and if things are really tight pick up a can each week till you have what you what you need, that can be done with wallpaper as well, but still the paint seems easier you don't.have to worry about measuring and cutting and I still think it would be better for the budget minded.

Remember always have adequate ventilation.

Good Luck whatever you do. !!!

I have orange golden oak cabinets, black appliances, gray brown floor, and brown dark light backsplash. Please help me on a wall color.

By Rebecca

What color paint would go with orange oak cabinets and a countertop that is St. Lawrence Bedrock color? This a beige color and my flooring is beige mix, also.

By C R from Newfoundland, Canada