Painting a Kitchen with Orange Cabinets

Kitchen with orange cupboards.
Choosing a wall paint color to complement your cabinets is an important part of developing your kitchen color scheme. This is a guide about painting a kitchen with orange cupboards.

I have orange kitchen cupboards and need to redecorate. What colours should I use? It is a L shaped kitchen. I can't afford to change cupboards, so I need to change the walls and maybe the floor. They are just a bit brighter than burnt orange.

By Maria W from Kent, England

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

Try a pale yellow on the walls and light wood or wood look floor. Try and find fabric with both colors for curtains. Also looks like you have a textured ceiling, usin a 6" putty knife or taping knife, scrape the ceiling (doesn't have to bee completely smooth, just scrape off the 'knuckle grabbers) then paint and you will find the ceiling just fades into the background. Use pops of colors for placemats, napkins and decorative items. Good luck

Best Answer

You can't make a leopard change it's spots. You have a retro kitchen so go with it. Shop second hand stores for retro stuff. Enamelware in pale yellow or robins egg blue would be cute. Or I'm sure you could find Fiesta ware dishes and containers that would coordinate. Get an old Coke sign for the wall. I love the cabinets and think you could make it look really good with a little time in the thrift stores.

Best Answer

Paint the walls in a matching, or a shade darker or lighter, than the cabinets to have a more uniform look.

We don't have enough money to get new cabinets, nor do we have the time to sand and restain (2 kids under 3!). Our cabinets are oak and stained a pecan color. I don't like how they appear a bit "orangey" looking.

What color would work well on the wall to pull the darker tones out of the cabinets and "mask" the orange a bit? A dark brown? Tan? Light creamy green? I'm scared to paint because I don't want the cabinets to appear any more orange.

By Amanda

Go with a color opposite on the color wheel. This is "gray" the appearance of the color somewhat. Or don't refinish the entire cabinet, try just the doors or the frame space between them, but I would put up some color chips first. If you are limited on time, here is a trick I have used. Using colored pencils or crayons, match the color of the cabinets. Then color other pieces of paper colored the colors you are considering. Or get paint chips and do the same thing. For best results, do this mix and match in the kitchen itself so the lighting will be the same. Good luck.

This will not help you to choose a color but I can tell you that the orangey tone on your cabinets comes from using a poly varnish that is oil based. Always use a water based varnish and you will have no problem. I think Chloe's suggestion is good. I would think a green along the sage lines might look good.

I would think a green shade might work, too. I know that a green concealer works on skin to cover up a red pimple or sore, so it might work to counteract the orange shade.

Any shade of brown will only contrast with the orange shade of your cabinets making it more obvious. Actually going with a color in the orange family like light peach will make the cabinets look more brown. Home Depot and paint stores offer to mix a small jar of paint as a sample for you to try.

I have orange golden oak cabinets, black appliances, gray brown floor, and brown dark light backsplash. Please help me on a wall color.

By Rebecca

What color paint would go with orange oak cabinets and a countertop that is St. Lawrence Bedrock color? This a beige color and my flooring is beige mix, also.

By C R from Newfoundland, Canada

What wall color goes with very rich (orangish) golden colored oak kitchen cabinets? I have tried Nantucket Gray (BM paint) and other muted gray greens and they look horrible. I do not know what to do because I have stripped my wall paper and need to paint.

Laurie from Saint Louis

Answers:

Painting Kitchen With Orangish Oak Cabinets

Try white walls with a wallpaper border that has a touch of the oak color in it. Or, if you want more color on the walls try a soft subtle melon paint. (08/12/2008)

By Lorelei

Have you considered changing the color of the cabinets? It's easier than you might think. I also had golden oak cabinets. I lightly sanded them, stained them with a darker stain, and added a coat of polyurethane. It was a lot easier than painting them. It looks like a whole new kitchen! (08/13/2008)

By Jean from Raymond, MS

Try a "dusty" green or muted green. It will tone down that orangy color. Look at the color wheel opposite the orange and you'll see the complimentary color. Look right next to orange and you'll see variations that will work.
Good luck! (08/13/2008)

By Melanie

Instead of buying paint in grayish tones, which are the cooler colors, I would look for paint in the warmer tones. Bring home a bunch of paint chips ranging in colors from yellow to melon (as the previous writer suggested) to the different shades of tan or brown to the reds and burgundies. Even some shades of green are in the warmer tones. Then see which paint chip looks better next to your cabinets (08/13/2008)

By Patty Lynn

If you look at paint chips in shades of melon and peach, get the lightest on the chart which is a soft hue of the strongest color. (08/13/2008)

By Lorelei

I thought that maybe a mocha or taupe color may work. (08/13/2008)

By Denise

Our oak cabinets look good with walls that are a very pale yellow, almost a cream color. We wallpapered the back-splash area (one wall behind the sink and stove) with a "faux marble" pattern with shades of dark red, copper and gold. I really love the combination of the oak and dark red, although I wouldn't want it on all the walls, just as an accent color. (08/13/2008)

By ChloeA

How about a very pale blue. (08/13/2008)

By Lily May

Write down the color number/name and take it to the paint store and look at the paint charts they have available. If you look at the lighter shades of a color, you may find one you think compliments your cabinets, provides brightness and is still soft. A worker may help you with finding that perfect shade you're looking for.

Another idea is to paint one wall say in a red-orange or a strong peach color and the other three white. The solid bold colored wall bounces onto the white and provides a tint of the bold color which adds softness, provides brightness, light, emphasis and is clean looking too. (08/16/2008)

By Lorelei