Painting a Linoleum Floor

Does anyone have experience with or tips for painting a linoleum floor? I've been told by the folks at a leading home improvement store that it's possible, but may not hold up to wear. It's the kitchen floor.

I know I would have to put a primer on first, Kilz or something similar, but what kind of paint after that? Deck, porch, masonry? And then polyurethane? I'm looking for a cheap fix until I can afford tile or hardwood. Thanks a bunch.

Gloria from Western NY

Answers:

Painting a Linoleum Floor

This can be done, and you can do it!
I have experience doing this and it holds up extremely well.

Prime the floor first with interior primer; let it dry.
Then using interior paint (can be for walls, doesn't have to be floor paint) paint your floor.

After you have designed the floor (if you've used stencils to make a border, etc.) let this dry at least 8 hours or overnight.

Now coat the floor with polyurethane (non-yellowing type) at least 3 coats, letting it dry between coats. You'll be amazed at the durability and pleased with the new floor. (02/06/2009)

By BrendaC.

Painting a Linoleum Floor

Another option would be to just install "peel-n-stick" laminate/linoleum tiles over the existing flooring. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to trim and the results are great. I was opposed to this idea a few years ago when my white linoleum kitchen floors needed replaced. But, I have been thrilled with the results and received many compliments. If you consider this, you can get 1 sample tile for under $1.00 at the local home improvement store and see how it would look. Get extra if you do decide to do this, as it will be easy to pull up a worn tile and replace with a fresh one down the road. I've now done this with same thing in my bathrooms and landing areas and very happy with them. Just my thoughts. Good luck! (03/08/2009)

By go2jared

Painting a Linoleum Floor

My mother painted all of the linoleum floors in our house many times. This included the kitchen, dining room, and living room. She didn't ever prime them, She washed them, let them dry then got down on her hands and knees with a can of paint and a paint brush. I think for the base color she must of have used tractor paint, because the background was always a medium gray (we had one of the old Ford tractors that was all gray and I figure my dad must have had a good supply of the paint on hand).

Then that evening after it was dry she would get down on her hands and knees again with a couple small cans of different colored paint, and a small paint brush and put dabs of these colors all over the floor. All of this was usually done when us kids and our dad were gone for the day. There was never any kind of sealer put on top of the paint. I can't remember how long the paint job lasted, but living on a farm and having four kids, I know my mother was busy enough that she couldn't have done this more often than two or three years apart. She also helped out in the fields and doing chores. This was back in the fifties. (08/06/2009)

By redhatterb

Painting a Linoleum Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Paint can with red paint.
Removing Paint from Linoleum
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
🎉
🎄