Parenting Tips and Tricks

Mom and Baby
When raising your children, there is always something to learn to help them develop into responsible, motivated adults. This guide contains parenting tips and tricks.

I'm a preschool teacher and mom to a 3 year old. One of the behavior techniques I use in my classroom is phrasing things in a positive way. For example, instead of saying, "no running!" to a young child, I say, "walking feet". This lets children know very simply and clearly what kind of behavior you want from them.

Some other examples are, "shh... inside voice, please", "feet down" (for those little furniture climbers!), "hands to yourself", etc. I even find myself using these phrases with my own son, probably because they're automatic to me after so many years of using them at work! But they really are a good, effective way to promote the positive behavior you'd like to see.

By Lisa from Kenosha, WI

If you have more than one child, you know how frustrating it is to have the kids squabbling over whose turn it is to do whatever. If you are lucky enough to have them born on odd and even dates (mine were 28th and 27th), and only TWO kids, you can use this:

If the date today is an even number, the kid whose birthday is on the even numbered day is "it" for whatever. If today is an odd numbered day, the "odd" numbered kid is "it." On the 31st, it is Mom's day. This works for just about everything: chores, privileges, picking the movie, getting into the car first, taking out the trash, setting the table, etc.

By Eileen from Elk Grove, CA

The best back to school tip from a mom of three (my kids are 7, 4, and 7 month old), is to try to make your family life fun by telling jokes at dinner, and making learning fun by rewarding with tickling awards! Everyday I return home from a long day at work and it just makes me happy to see my family happy! This is the best stress reliever!