Parrot Toy Ideas

Category Birds
A parrot chewing on a chew toy.
Parrots are intelligent birds that enjoy stimulating play. Bird toys can be quite expensive, but there are alternatives. This is a guide about parrot toy ideas.

Parrot toys are very expensive, yet vitally important to the health and happiness of our beloved friends. Parrots are exceptionally intelligent and require a lot of mental stimulation to thrive. They need much more than a good diet, fresh water, clean surroundings, fresh air, and warm sunshine. They need and enjoy the closeness and interaction of their human companions, as well. And just like a human child, they also benefit greatly, and in fact NEED, safe, stimulating toys that engage their minds and allow developmental growth, such as problem solving skills and "hand-eye" coordination. Parrot toys can break your bank, yet as you can see, are absolutely necessary. These very pricey toys are usually "lovingly destroyed" much faster than we mere mortals can afford to replace them. I have discovered a wonderful alternative in the form of infant and toddler toys! Safety is the number one concern of manufacturers: safe plastics, safety mirrors made of shatter proof materials, no sharp edges, no small or loose parts, not to mention the huge variety of shapes and bright colors - all readily available at very low prices. My African Grey has a brightly colored, hard plastic baby rattle that I gave her years ago. It's easy to sterilize and cost me $3- and remains to this day one of her very favorites! At such amazing prices I can afford to buy several at a time, which allows me to switch out her toys often, helping her to avoid boredom and adding lots of fun! The next time you shop for your beloved Parrot, drop down the infant aisle first to see what treasures await your precious baby.

Thank you for sharing your ideas and explaining about Parrots. These birds are extremely smart , and do require much attention , love , mental stimulation like you mentioned. I am planning on getting a rescue bird , either a Moluccan Cockatoo or an Umbrella Cockatoo. I'm preparing a head of time by researching and watching on line videos of their behaviors. I enjoy this so much. I admit , with their long life span , this will be a new life long member of the family , and nothing like a dog or cat. My husband and I are carefully and realistically weighing out our decision , and not going to go into this partnership with our bird blindly. I understand it takes work , commitment , money , patience , and love. What magnificent Parrots and Cockatoos are... Thank you for sharing your advice. More information needs to be out there about owning and caring for parrots.