Patio Tomato Not Blooming

I bought a patio tomato plant for a large container on my porch. It had 1 small tomato on it when I got it, but has never had any other blossoms nor has it gotten much bigger. Otherwise the plant is healthy, no bugs, and I am not overfeeding it. I have grown tomatoes for years and never had this problem. Help!

Are you using the same soil as previous years? that could be the problem

Anonymous

Thanks. I bought new garden soil. It's my first garden in this box.

Make sure no suckers are growing between the branches. Fertilize regularly. You can also shake the plant very gently.

Did you transplant it to a larger container? Most plants should only be re-potted to a one size larger container as they do not usually do well if placed in a much larger pot. I have found that patio tomatoes are more "touchy" than other tomato plants and do not like being moved around very much.

If you have only had your tomato plant for a short while it may just be taking its time to acclimate to the new soil, sun, temperature, humidity, and care.

Hopefully, it will "come out" soon and give you an abundance of pretty little blossoms.

Anonymous

I grew brandywine and yellow zebra tomato plants from seed and the plants are now in my new 8 1/2 ' by 4' garden box. There are no flowers on them. I bought a cherry tomato plant and there were flowers on it and they are gone as are flowers on a red pepper plant I bought. I know I have raccoons and squirrels. Do I put cayenne pepper by the plants? I tried toilet paper rolls on a small plant and something destroyed one. Thank you, julie