Pattern for Pioneer or Settlers Bonnet

I live in a developing nation in the South Pacific (Vanuatu). Craft materials are very limited. I bring in what I can when I visit my home country, but restrictions apply. Can anyone supply me with a pattern to make a Pioneer woman’'s bonnet. I think that you may call it an early settler’'s bonnet.

I have a small piece of stiffening for the wide brim. I guess that the bonnet has a circular/oval section at the back of the head and some gathered fabric coming forward towards the forehead and then, the brim. I have been making cloth dolls for the local children. They are made small (7 1/2 inches and smaller), as cotton fabric used for folk/Amish dolls/patchworking is as scarce as hens’ teeth. Many thanks for your great ideas. Happy crafting.

HeatherJoanne

Editor's Note: This is a Australian Early Settlers Bonnet, not American. She says they look kind of like the bonnets in, Gone With The Wind.

Answers:

Pattern for Pioneer or Settlers Bonnet

Do a search for "Amish headcovering". There are several sites that have bonnet patterns of various types. At least it might give you some ideas.

(10/05/2007)

By Cantate