Paying Back Child Support

Category Child Support
Sometimes a non custodial parent will owe back child support, in addition to current support or unpaid arrears, and wonder the best way to clear this debt. This is a guide about paying back child support.

I received back SSDI from 3 yrs ago and will continue to get it for my child till age 18. What about my back child support from 3 yrs ago? Do I still get it? And does it continue until my child is 18?

By Cherry

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Go back to court and have the child support taken directly from the parent's paycheck. Some states put the person in jail if they don't pay. The reason some people don't get the money is because they do not take the appropreate avenues to get it. If you have an order of child support, call the state attorney general and ask how to enforce it. Son't stop until you get it.

Your state may have a Support Enforcement Unit, normally a division of Family Services. If you do not receive welfare, you may not be aware of them. I used to work for the Welfare Office in our state so I knew about our Support Enforcement Unit. They do try to help people who are not receiving child support, though their main focus is on families who are on welfare. However, they (along with the Social Security office) can set up a repayment option.

If your ex owes back child support and files taxes, you should get that money. If your ex is old enough to file for Social Security, they can garnish that. My husband still pays $51/month on a child support order he owed from about 20 years or more ago. That money comes out of his Social Security check. Hubby didn't file to receive support from the "mother" when he got custody. The "child" in question is 28, married and has three children of his own. Keep pushing until you get what you need to raise your child! Put the local Child Support Enforcement Agency's phone number on speed dial, if that's what it takes. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Can my ex wife ask the courts to withdraw my back child support if my daughter is 21 years old now and they are not needing it? Also, because I am going thru some health and financial issues?

By Michael

This is all so sad. Men especially and some women who don't take responsibility for their children. The root of this problem is....stupidity. If you don't want to pay for a child, get a vasectomy, or your tubes tied. One day in the hospital and no worries about having children. I know about this first hand. X son-in-law, slime ball, behind 3,000 on child support and staying unemployed so he don't have to pay it. What a loser.

Stand up and be a man. Accept your responsibilities now because you obviously didn't in the past if your daughter is 21 and you still owe.

To answer your question, yes, your ex wife can ask the courts to withdraw, or "forgive", your back child support.

It's entirely up to her if she feels that she truly doesn't need the money, if she is tired of dealing with the hastle of you and the courts, and if she feels it is a burden lifted from her heart to forgive you.

My ex had custody and was receiving foodstamps and a medical card from jobs and Family Services. My license was taken away for not being able to pay back child support. Unfortunately he passed away 2 weeks ago and the 2 children are living with me. I called the child support office and they are closing his case. My questions are, will they let me get my driver's license reinstated so I can take the children to school and my 2nd question is, even though they're closing the case will I still owe the state for them being on foodstamps and receiving medical cards?

I am low income myself and on SSI and have custody of my 4 yr old autistic grandson who also is disabled and receiving SSI for his disability. We are poor people and I need my license back more than ever, I have no idea how I am going to support all of us and have to pay back child support to the state even though the father has passed.

Your question doesn't make sense.

Assuming the children are under 18. If they're over 18, you pay for nothing for them obviously.

The kids received medical care and foodstamps because their father was low income enough to qualify.

The food card wasn't theirs, it was their father's. Since he's gone, the foodcard would be closed out with his case.

It wouldn't make any sense for you to pay for the kids to get a food card or the same medical care because those were free benefits provided to the father because he couldn't afford them.

You are responsible for the kids now and those benefits will come through you. You'd have to qualify for food stamps and it would be your money, not theirs. The medical would have be applied for under you now.

If you weren't low income, you wouldn't qualify for benefits, and as minors dependent on you, they wouldn't qualify for any either.

My partner has a 5 year old daughter, her mother has always contemplated letting my partner see his daughter. However for 4 months on-off he sees her each weekend. Then all of a sudden she stops coming down/speaking to him.

My partner calls his daughter daily, and at the moment he is off work. So he asked his daughter to stay for some time as she is off school, however her mother just keeps saying no. Wednesday she rang my partner up and told him he needed to pay child support. However she has never asked for this before because when he sees his daughter he takes her out shopping, playing, and out for tea/breakfast, etc.

However his ex partner has just had a baby with somebody else, her partner is not registered as living with her. She also worked part time, but still received her full benefits and house paid for, along with luxury pets and furniture.

My partner works full time, I work full time and we live in a one bedroom place. His ex partner told him she would ring the police on him, call child support, and social services on him because he refuses to pay the money. Considering it is now a month since seeing his daughter. I do understand that she is 5 and with a new baby in the household she could feel jealous over attention.

To the point, will his ex's benefits stop, should we tell the authority that she and her partner both work cash in hand and still receive all benefits full?
Also what happens to my partner, he does not want all his wages going to his ex when he doesn't even see his daughter?

Thanks.

By AMB

Your boyfriend should be paying child support that he can afford on a weekly or monthly basis. If he is reluctant to do so, his ex can go to court and the court will order him to pay child support. This will be more than the amount he would voluntarily pay and they can garnish his wages if he doesn't pay it.

As far as visitation is concerned, as long as he isn't doing anything dangerous or illegal, he can get visitation. He will have to go to family court and request it. Keep in mind that if he does request visitation, his ex will certainly request court-ordered child support. But then again, she can do that anytime.

As far as the ex's financial situation is concerned, I assure you that if you went to the "authorities" with this information they would escort you right back out the door. They are way too busy to get involved with unprovable accusations.

How do you know your partner's ex and her partner get paid in cash and get benefits? If you know this for sure you have your nose where it doesn't belong. Are you sure the little girl isn't playing the parents against each other and that is why the kid doesn't always see her Dad.

Also I have heard of judges that tell the step parents their opinion about step kids don't count and they should keep their nose out of it. Then there are the alleged step parents that are only playing house with the parent, which apparently is what you are doing, judges have been known to tell these people not to refer to themselves as step parents because that only applies to married people. As long as the ex's significant other isn't living in the house his income doesn't count other than providing support for the new baby. The same applies to you, when it comes to child support, your income wouldn't be counted. Even if you and the father were married, your income wouldn't be counted for child support.

As an old saying goes - there are usually two sides to every story (and sometimes 3 or 4?). You do not say where you live - even USA or another country - so it is difficult to offer suggestions as rules/laws about this sort of thing are different everywhere - even in different states in the US.

Most Everyone on Thrifty will agree that the father should be paying some type of child support. It appears from your remarks that your partner and the mother of his child were never married? That sort-of explains why there is no agreement on support and visitation. This does not negate his obligation/responsibility to support the child but it does make a lot of difference as to the legal aspect of someone making him pay.

Since we have no information about where you live - your partner should decide how he wishes to handle this as getting legal advice seems the only way to resolve something like this.

Just bear in mind that when a legal resolution is started - everything about your partner's financial situation as well as the mother's will have to be stated and may be investigated before the court will make a final decision.

I kinda doubt there is anything the mother can do to legally collect the money unless there is some kind of written agreement. But this also means she is in charge of visitation rights also.

It seems it may be a good idea for the two of them (just them) to have a private discussion and try to decide what is fair in their present situation? Maybe no one wishes for the whole "truth" about finances and living conditions to be brought out into the open.

It is good that the father wishes to have visitation rights but support is necessary even if visits are few or never.

I hope that none of these discussions are conducted when the child is around.

Also, I believe most will agree - this whole matter should be decided by the two parents - and - hopefully they will resolve things with the child's best interest in mind.

I have a friend that receives SSDI and for the past 7 years has had his benifits garnished because of non payment of child support. The question I have is can that really be legal if the children are not yours but your wife's? Now they are divorced and he still is being garnished and he still is paying her debt. The children were never legally adopted by the step father. Can he get some sort of reimbursement for the money he has had to pay out for the ex-wife's children? They are all grown now and he has paid over 6000 dollars and still owes 6000.

Only the SSA can answer your friend's questions. Your friend should make an appointment with SSA and provide any required information for the appointment. He can also appeal the SSA's actions and decisions.

An addition to my first answer-your friend can also discuss his case with an attorney who specializes in SSA matters to learn if he should file an action against SSA.

I am dating a man whose license got suspended due to back child support. He is now caught up, but his ex-wife says if she releases his license that it will cancel out her child support totally. Can that be true?

By K Paul

Run don't walk away from this guy. He did not pay to take care of his children. Not a good track record. He may be nice but not a good choice for a relationship.

She doesn't release it, the court does. She has nothing to do with it-its not up to her, as child support is paid to the state or county court, who then passes it to the parent that has the child. Sounds to me like he has not caught it up and is not being truthful to you.

This is the law in Washington state which appears to be pretty standard.

http://www.dol.  hildsupport.html

It isn't up to the mom, but the posters are right about one thing. He is not dating material. It's kind of like cheating, if they will do it with you they will do it to you. There was nothing says you won't get pregnant and he will have two reasons to not drive.

Sprint... run... race.... flee.

PBP

If you owe back child support and you can settle for a lump sum, should I pay it or see if there are more options? It is a large lump sum.

By Mike

If you are not charged any interest or penalties for doing so you should pay this obligation over time.

If you can do the lump sum, do it. Most states require (no exceptions) that interest be collected on past-due child support, so you would get out from under the obligation faster by doing the lump sum. Be sure to get the paperwork signed off and keep copies forEVER!

Hi - my neighbor says - been there, done that.

First thing to consider - are you facing a jail term if not paid by a certain time?

I live in Florida and they just love to give people a short length of time to pay back support or else!

Since I have seen several cases of things like this, I would say you definitely need an attorney if this is a large sum as you want to be absolutely sure this is your best deal and that it cannot come back later to bite you!

That said - you should be very careful of what you agree to as these things are very tricky and do not always cover all bases.

Best bet - get an attorney!!!

My husband and I opened a checking account last month, so that my 7 year old's SSI check could be direct deposited. Well last week we received a phone call from the bank stating that the account had been frozen by child support. Can they freeze that account? The only thing that account is used for is my son's SSI check and that is the only account we have.

By Tina from Chouteau, OK

The bank should be able to tell you too cause they could not do it without an legal court order.

If child support is owed, they will freeze assets until it's caught up.

Anonymous

Call the bank and Social Security. Legally there was some kind of notice given that freezing of assets would occur because of back support delinquency and the notice was ignored. :-( I agree with another poster that the whole story has not been given here.

I was incarcerated a few years ago and my mother had applied for welfare for my children when I was locked up. I just started going to school and applied for some extra money through my student loans. I don't have a problem paying my back pay child support, but at the same time I'm not working due to my felony and I really can use the money to pay some bills and so on. So can Colorado garnish me for child support through student loans? Please some one help me with this question.

By Michelle

Supporting your kids should be your number one bill. Why should the state support them? Also if a person has school loans in default, and the person is on social security, the social security can be garnished. School loans is one of the worst places to be in default.

The bigger your loan the more you will have to pay back and after your education is completed, if the only job your are able to find, doesn't pay a living wage, you will have a very hard time paying it back, and have enough to live on and support your kids.

Anonymous

You will need to double check this information with a lawyer in case the laws have changed but from what I understand student loan proceeds can not be garnished.

Have you at least tried talking to the courts regarding what you owe for back child support and come to some kind of new agreement on repayment based on that you're trying to be a contributing citizen? Have you talked to your mom to see if she would be willing to go to the courts with you to find if some of the back support can be waived?

And, yes you can get a part time job (or two if need be) and still go to school full time even with a criminal history! All you have to do is try applying everywhere and anywhere doing anything (that's legal). Lots of people have done it! It's all a matter of attitude and hard work and the choice ultimately is yours.

"Have you sincerely learned your lesson, will stay on the up and up, try above and beyond and hold to any agreements you make?" If so, you will be successful; if not you're making excuses and playing the 'victim'.

Rethink using your student loan money to pay bills. Just today I read where an athlete got in trouble for using scholarship money to start a business. I would think as, this is a federal government thing, that the penalty for misusing the federal funds could be greater.

Can a student loan refund be garnished for child support?

By lizzy09 from TX

I find it interesting that, although my husband's Social Security is garnished and the CSEA took his 2008 and 2009 stimulus checks to apply to an ancient child support claim (the child turns 27 this August,) my husband's student loan refund (through the Dept of Ed) reached us intact. Hmm...

If you are trying to figure out if you can garnish for back money you are owed then I would call a local attorney and ask if they do not know they will point you in the right direction for free.

If you are trying to advoid paying child support then I have a little advice-Support your child by paying your child support. If the custodial parent does not spend the money on the child you can always look your child in the face when they are grown and say I paid child support I can't help it if you did not get what you needed. It is sad but some non custodial parents are so hell bent not making the custodial parents lives any better they would rather not pay child support thus making their own childrent do with out.

As far as the person's huband that is still paying child support and his child is now 27 if he had supplied necessaties (by paying child support) for his child when it was growing up he would not owe the mom for pulling his side of the load. As his wife it is your responsibilty to see this wrong is righted even if you have to step in there and do it.

By the way, no I have never been divorced nor have I ever owed child support but my mother was a single mom that never received child support.

I might blog about this a little further as this is something I feel very strongly about having lived it.

You guys are morons. Bunch of women answering questions on something they have no idea what they are talking about. The loan refund can not be intercepted by the child support because it is not considered income. It is a student loan! Used for educational expenses and paid back after graduating from college.

I was married to a man in 2006. He passed away in 2010 and I am now getting Social Security checks for myself and my 3 children who were his stepchildren.

How do I (father) find out how much child support I owe?