Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans

Question:

I live in Ala. and have pecan trees that have produced abundantly for years. But, the last two-year the crop has been rotten and this year I don't see many if any pecans on them. The pecans that have fallen off are rotten with bugs or something. What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Judy from Leighton, AL

Answer:

Judy,

Without seeing your pecan tree it's tough to say with any certainty what the problem (and the solution) might be. Pecan trees (and other nut trees) can suffer from a variety of maladies.

If you've had a couple of wet summers, it could be that your tree is suffering from some type of fungal disease like scab. Symptoms include dark spots on the undersides of leaves and the outer covering of the nuts. The leaves of a tree infected with scab turn yellow and the nuts fall prematurely. If that's the case, controlling it will depend on Mother Nature and waiting for a dry year.

Small dark spots can also be caused by stink bugs.

Do the pecans that have fallen to the ground contain small, grub-like worms? These could be pecan weevil larvae. The adult weevils are dark gray or brown beetle-like insects with long snouts. They lay their eggs on developing nuts, which then hatch and bore into the pecans leaving a small hole in the shell.

Another white worm found less frequently in the nuts is the hickory shuckworm. Infestations are characterized by olive green or reddish gray caterpillars that feed on buds and leaves and tunnel into young shoots to pupate. Adult moths emerge in May and lay their eggs on the nuts, which then hatch and bore into the shells.

A lack of nut production could point to pollination problems, too much water or not enough fertilizer.

You could be looking at one or a combination of problems. Hopefully some of this information will help you diagnose the problems and narrow down your search for solutions. Here are some useful links to diagnosing pecan tree problems.

More Answers:

Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans

Here are some excellent links for pecan trees:

http://www.pecanworld.com/graftingresources.htm (10/05/2006)

By Jim Henry

Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans

Growing up mowing around and harvesting from 20 large Pecan trees in Texas, I remember only a few times our crops were not good. I believe I heard the parents discussing that there are several different KINDS of Pecan trees, only a few desirable to eat, and that they take a LOT of WATER/fertilizer to produce properly, otherwise they have inferior nuts and all sorts of rottenness, even for the squirrels.

We always had from ten to thirty sacks of nuts on our enclosed back porch which were excellent, and
my family gave most of them away to friends, relatives, since the neighbors lived within the orchard
properties also.

I haven't a reason to read the link provided about
Pecan tree growing, but I know they are slow growing
and a total waste of time if the wrong variety or
in the wrong location. God bless and give you the
correct and true information with which to make the best decisions. : ) (10/08/2006)

By lyndagayle62

Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans

P.S., regardless of what you've heard from anyone else, the correct pronunciation of this tree is "Pe-CAHN", not "PEE-can".....lol. This is very important to those who know this, sort of like the difference between " Im-PAL- a" and " IM- PAHLLA", I suppose.
It's not "regional" but rather "ignorance" that causes this mispronunciation of Pe-cahns, except for those who insist on the wrong way and who are also the same ones who like to mock Southerners. lol

I've lived everywhere from coast to coast, north to south, and learned that Texas and Texans are truly NICE and O.K.! (This is my native state, what would one expect after 62 yrs?) LOL : ) (10/08/2006)

By lyndagayle62

Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans

i think every state in the nation has extension offices at the county courthouse or at the state capital. check with them. they are regional knowledge storehouses. you can ask them about anything agricultural. if they can't tell you they know who to send you to. if you do an online search for them just put in your state and extension office and see what you get. they can probably tell you more about pecan than the encyclopedia cause they are local to your area. (10/09/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans

Judy
Part of the problem is that your trees needs to be sprayed for bugs or possibly they have a disease.Pecan trees are like anything else,they get too much water,they don't make nuts,too little water,they don't make nuts so I would trim all the dead limbs off then spray and last but not least,fertilize. (10/13/2006)

By Arkansas Lil

Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans

I'm in east TX and heard the county extension agent on the radio talking about the rotten pecahns :) and in our area it is due to lack of rain fall during the summer months. As for the webworms, when I was a kid, my dad would take a long pole and wad rags around it and burn them, but I consider that dangerous and would never try it, but if you can get dawn dishsoap + water onto the webs you will knock out the worms almost instantly. I figure if you can get the pesticide up there, you can get dawn dishsoap and water. But I have been lucky and the worms have been low and easy to get to.
Hope this helps.

Tina (10/17/2006)

By trbrown22

Pecan Trees With Rotten Pecans
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Pecan Pie Cake Recipes
Pecan Pie Cake Recipes
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Growing Pecan Trees
Growing Pecan Trees
🎉
🎄