Pen and Pencil Holder Ideas

Homemade pen or pencil holders are a good craft gift idea or a useful handmade addition to your home office. This is a guide about pen and pencil holder ideas.

Filter Sort

Clothespin Barrel Shaped Pot

By ShirleyE 53 48

This rustic style little pot is made from wooden pegs and looks like a mini barrel. Use it for storing a variety of things. Who would have thought that a pile of pegs and a bit of string could look so pretty?

Clothespin Barrel Shaped Pot

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Bucket Penholder for a Teacher

By Benetta 223 119

Turn an ordinary galvanized mini tin bucket into a penholder for your favorite teacher, and show her some appreciation for all her hard work.

Bucket with colored pens.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Yield: one

• 1 galvanized mini tin bucket with a height of 2 7/8 inches
  • white water-based primer
  • acrylic paint in the following two colors: true red and pale gold
  • leftover pieces of cardboard in the following colors: orange, light green, yellow, purple, and light blue
  • 4 small yellow butterfly embellishments
  • a sponge ~ use one that was inside a medicine bottle
  • clear-drying craft glue
  • strong bonding glue
  • quick-drying matt spray varnish
  • hairdryer
  • paint brush
  • scissors
  • pencil

1. With a slightly wet brush, paint a thin layer of the white water-based primer over the whole tin and dry it thoroughly with the hairdryer. Do not use the highest heat setting on the hairdryer.
  2. Clean the brush, and then paint a thin layer of true red acrylic paint over the whole tin. Dry with the hairdryer.
  3. Painting bucket red over primer.
  4. Draw and cut the following school-related symbols from the pieces of cardboard: the letters a, b and c, the number 2 and a triangle.
  5. Glue the school-related symbols to the tin and gently wipe off any excess glue.
  6. Adding letter cutouts.
  7. Add glue to the bottom edge of the tin and sprinkle with the red glitter while the glue is still wet. Let it dry thoroughly.
  8. Using the sponge, give the whole tin a wash with the pale gold acrylic paint. Remember not to use too much paint when using a sponge, as this will cause the paint to smudge. Remove excess paint by dabbing it onto a sheet of newspaper before applying the sponge.
  9. After adding glitter give it a wash of gold.
  10. To protect the paint from wear and tear, apply one coat of the quick-drying spray varnish. Remember to work in a well-ventilated area when spraying the varnish.
  11. Let it dry thoroughly.
  12. Use the strong bonding glue to glue the butterfly embellishments in place.

Photo 1: Paint a thin layer of true red acrylic paint over the whole tin.
Photo 2: Add red glitter to the bottom edge of the tin.
Photo 3: Give the whole tin a wash with the pale gold acrylic paint.
Photo 4: The completed product.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Customizing a Pen Cup

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

I love sunflowers. I found a really cute cup to put my pens and scissors in on my desk. When I got it home, they all fell in too far for me to see. So, I found a little cosmetic jar that dropped right in and didn't tip. Not only do they now fit, but should I ever need that jar, I can take it out and replace it with a small cat food can.

You can do the same thing if you have paint brushes, artists pencils, craft scissors, or anything that sinks too low in the container you want to use. Just find a can that is a tiny bit smaller in circumference but raises the bottom up to meet the need. N-JOY!

Customizing a Pen Cup

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Soup Can as Pen Holder

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

I made a crocheted cover for a can to keep some pens on the lazy Susan for my roommate. It occurred to me that pens could be stored on the outside and something else could be on the inside. My first thought was flowers and as it turned out, they were pens, too!

finished pen holder

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

markers in holder
    Crafts MiscellaneousJuly 15, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Toothbrushes in Holder
    Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
    Wood Knife Holder
    Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
    Glass frog pencil holders.
    Unique Pencil Holders
    Removing Graphite (or Pencil) Stains from Clothing
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 10:32:19 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 999 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost CommentsFewest CommentsRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings